How Often Should You Blog?

by Joel Friedlander on March 10, 2014 · 40 comments

Post image for How Often Should You Blog?

“How often should I blog?” is one of the questions I get asked most frequently by authors starting a blog. While many bloggers have a casual relationship to exactly when they publish new content, I think you’ll do better for yourself and your readers if you establish—and stick to—a real publishing schedule.

How often should you blog? There’s no one answer to this question. Bloggers have different aims, write in different categories, and have wildly different abilities to produce content.

If you’ve identified the top blogs in your niche, you’ll already have a head start on understanding what readers might expect.

Remember that successful blogs have already answered these blogging questions—that’s why they are successful. So use what you learn when researching the other blogs in your niche to inform your own decisions.

Sample Blog Posting Schedules

Here are some typical posting schedules used by bloggers with varying aims, writing for different audiences. See if one of them fits your situation, or suggests a solution you can use. I’ve tried to give you examples of successful bloggers using each of these approaches.

Finding what suits you and your readers is really the most important part of building a community around your blog. But I also think that growing your site into a more mature media publisher has merit. And one thing that will help you take responsibility for your content creation is having a specific schedule.

An Aside

When I started this blog, I decided to publish almost every day to try to attract readers as quickly as possible.

When I told Jill my plan, she said “You’re crazy! You think people want to read about type fonts 6 days a week??”

Of course, my reply was, “Okay, you think I’m crazy? I’m going to publish 7 days a week!”

(If you’re married, you’ll understand the way these conversations go.)

But the strategy did work for me, and after 2 years of publishing 5 or 6 days a week, I eventually switched to a more sustainable long-term schedule of 3 days per week.

I can tell you from experience that trying to produce high quality content several times every week, month in and month out, takes both dedication and some pretty brawny writing muscles.

Think about how big a commitment you’re willing to make to this part of your platform building as you look through these examples.

• Several times each day—this type of publishing schedule is suited to blogs that focus on short news items, technical alerts, “gadget” blogs. Often these posts are derived from press releases or news items from wire services or other sources, so there may not be a lot of writing being done on the part of the blogger. Another type of frequent blogger is someone who curates other people’s content, which allows the blogger to post multiple times each day.

Example: The Passive Voice blog has grown a large and dedicated following by posting 5 to 10 items a day. Some are short quotes, others lengthy discussions, all have links back the the original articles.

• Daily posts—Lots of blogs are suited to the post a day schedule. Examples include short inspirational posts, “thought of the day” blogs, daily writing prompts, and similar types of blogs. Also keep in mind that posting more often will almost always result in more traffic to your articles. Knowing this, many bloggers choose to post every day during the early months of their blog to help get traction with readers quickly.
  • Examples: For years, Copyblogger has produced one helpful article every day like clockwork. Drawing on a powerful network of expert bloggers to expand the work of the Copyblogger staff, they’ve built a small empire on the strength of this daily content. Also very suitable for tips blogs like Daily Blog Tips.

• 2-5 posts per week—This is a very popular frequency for many top blogs. One of the best ways bloggers use this type of schedule is by assigning each day to a different topic or specific type of post. For instance, a blog about baking might feature a “recipe of the week” on Mondays, articles on “baking basics” on Wednesdays, and “baking tools and tips” on Friday. Many readers enjoy checking in for their favorite features on specific days, and this also helps you as a blogger organize your plans for future articles.

Examples: Joanna Penn has built a strong community around her The Creative Penn blog by publishing 3 times a week with great regularity, with many readers being attracted by the endless stream of content. Similarly, C.S. Lakin’s Live Write Thrive blog explicitly posts on a Monday-Wednesday-Friday schedule, so readers always know when to expect a new article.

• 1 post per week—Many bloggers use one post per week to keep their blogs updated with fresh material for readers. Like a weekly magazine, readers will look forward to your really great content, and if you give yourself a week in which to produce each article you can really make your work shine.

Example: Legendary copywriter Bob Bly’s blog comes out once a week with his typically pithy and practical advice for entrepreneurs of all kinds. This results in excellent traffic and non-stop signups for his email list where he can make available the many information products he’s produced over the years.

• 1 or 2 posts per month—This type of frequency might suit bloggers who aren’t very concerned with building traffic for business reasons. It will keep search engines, which seem to prefer sites that are updated regularly, happy, and you can establish authority in your field.

Example: Cathryn Ryan Howard posts about 3 times a month to her wonderful Catherine, Caffeinated blog, with great success, since her dedicated fans look forward to each post.

Pick one of these publishing schedules that appeals to you. Keep in mind that posting more frequently will grow your readership more quickly. What’s crucial in my opinion is that you pick a schedule that you can actually keep, long term.

There’s no reason you can’t change to a different schedule if the one you’re using doesn’t work out, but if you want to keep readers coming back for more, sticking to whichever publishing schedule you’ve settled on will help.

MrsP August 22, 2015 at 1:32 pm

Hi Joel, thanks for this helpful article. I’ve recently started my website and often wondered about blog post timing. For now, I’m in the category of posting a few times a month, not because I don’t care about traffic, but because the blog has to fit around my household/work commitments. From a beginner blogger’s perspective, I thought it’d be helpful for others to have a round-up of the main points we should keep in mind when creating a first blog post, so I’ve posted and recommended and linked to your post too. Hope that’s ok with you.

Joel Friedlander August 25, 2015 at 10:43 am

Mrs P, thanks. And that’s a great piece of content you put together for people starting blogs, good luck with it.

Odira August 14, 2015 at 7:11 am

This is a very hot debate. I am a new blogger and I have read many opinions on this topic and all of them are different to each other as regards to answer.
    Some argue that posting everyday is best for new bloggers, some say posting once in a while is best, and some say you have to choose what is best for you (like this post) with their respective reasons.

After reading all this I have come to agree with the last group. I and I alone can choose what is best for me. I will meditate on this topic and let my inner spirit guide me on this.

Before I go, you mentioned that publishing 7 times a week didn’t work for you, I was hoping to see how it didn’t work out. Is it that you couldn’t keep up with it or that is wasn’t helping you blog grow?

Joel Friedlander August 14, 2015 at 12:33 pm

Hi Odira,

What I said was that the strategy of publishing new content 5 or 6 times a week really did work for me, but after 2 years my blog had grown to the point I didn’t need to sustain that output. Because I don’t write 200 word posts, and it’s all original content, it’s quite challenging to keep up content production on a schedule like that. Good luck!

Joydeep Dam August 14, 2015 at 1:53 pm

I think you need to think of getting more visitors than posting too often. I mean you can post 14 awesome contents per week, but who is going to read them? As a new blogger, you need social, email, family/friends outreach to get regular visitors into your blog. And that’s already quite some work, let alone creating WOW contents.

Joydeep Dam July 16, 2015 at 2:24 am

Hi Joel,
    Very first time reader to your blog, though I have seen your reference in Yaro Starak’s Entrepreneur-Journey website.

As you have pointed out, it solely depends on the blogger. I think it also depends on the blog type. If it is for example blog for celebrity gossip, news, sports, niche affiliate marketing based on product review, the blogger may have enough stories to generate/source in to the blog compare to a “super” micro niche.
    Another point is, if bloggers have full time job somewhere else outside their blogging passion, it is many times difficult to post daily, even weekly.
    Being said that, 1 post per week is something which I target for.
    I see you are more in 2-5 posts per week type. Do you write at the same time several posts and make them scheduled for posting at a later date?

Thanks for a nice read, btw.

Joel Friedlander July 16, 2015 at 11:44 am

Joydeep, thanks for your comment. In the early years I wrote and published articles 6 times a week. Now there are other writers, so I don’t have to do it all myself. We publish 3 or 4 posts per week, but you have to find the rhythm that works for you. And yes, I use the WordPress scheduling function for all my posts, it’s super convenient. Good luck with your blog.

LiftMyEnergy April 11, 2015 at 2:50 pm

The target is to write 1 blog post per day. Too early to do some A/B testing on frequency, timing and topics, but that’s the next target. It’s great we can share tips. Thank you.

Small Business Marketing April 9, 2015 at 4:26 pm

Just about to launch a 300 page blog campaign targeting the small business owner market in the UK. My frequency over the next year will be in the 1 per day region according to my plan. Researched meticulously for all the low hanging fruit, really going for it. Market leading presence is the goal – then to monetize. Currently revenue is just consulting, but want to diversify this in due course, God willing.

Manpreet Kaur February 28, 2015 at 10:26 am

Thanks for this post. I do 3 blogs per week on my blog but then someone suggested me that it is going to get me nowhere for people definitely want more content. I tried doing that for 2-3 days but then there was a huge bloggers block. I couldn’t think of writing anything because everything seemed low quality to me.
    I think one must decide the frequency according to what one can handle. Right?

Nina Amir April 9, 2015 at 4:30 pm

You should create a blog plan (there is a post on this topic here on this site that I wrote). This helps you brainstorm ideas over time.

Then, yes, pick a frequency you can stick with…I suggest twice a week if you can’t do more.

Joel Friedlander April 10, 2015 at 11:28 am

Here’s Nina’s very useful article: How to Create a Blog Plan for Any Type of Book.

Bellaisa February 19, 2015 at 1:14 pm

There are some weeks that publishing often is just too much! But, for me, publishing more on any blog I have (and they are in different niches) means more traffic and overall success.

It didn’t used to be that way. I could stop publishing posts for a while and not lose much organic traffic, but over the years, I have found that just a week break can affect my organic stats negatively. Is that just me? Or, is it because of all the Google changes in the past few years?

Nina Amir April 9, 2015 at 4:31 pm

I’m not sure if it is Google, but I find traffic drops over the weekend or between posts. So, it’s best to pick a schedule and stick with it. No vacations…write in advance and schedule.

Levon December 5, 2014 at 9:02 am

Very informative. I’m new at blogging, so I’m trying to absorb as much information as I can. Thanks!

Amrish August 3, 2014 at 1:12 pm

You make some interesting points here. I’ve been trying to balance adding content with exposure and this was a good reminder. I found Ben Hunt’s book Content! very interesting in terms of his idea of funneling traffic to your site through your content, so I have been focusing on that as well as SEO.

Any thoughts on how to get guest posting gigs? As someone who is just getting started, I am not necessarily an authority so it’s not like anyone wants my guest post!

Nina Amir April 9, 2015 at 4:32 pm

Develop relationships with bloggers. Start small. Guest post on smaller sites and build up, Amrish.

Denis Ledoux April 19, 2014 at 3:46 pm

I post about 4 to 5 times per week and most of my posts are in the 400 to 700 word range. I’ve noticed that the page views got up with regular frequency. After I miss several days, the views go down even when I post again. Then it takes several days for the posts to show more views.

Nina Amir March 10, 2014 at 3:20 pm

This really is the perpetual question. All my clients ask this whether they are blogging to promote a book, build platform or blog a book. I usually suggest 2-3 times per week at a minimum to build traction on Google and gain readers/subscribers. However, you do need a schedule you can stick to. That said, I also remind them a blog post does not need to be 1000 words in length but rather just 300-500 words long. If you write 300 words you satisfy Google and most readers. As, Francis mentioned, a longer post less often is one tactic, but that isn’t, in my experience, the best way to gain visibility early on with a blog. I’m not sure it’s the best way long term either…although some of the blogs you mentioned have great visibility. I wonder at what point they switched to one post a week or so and if they started that way.

Joel Friedlander March 10, 2014 at 7:39 pm

I’ve read recently that posts in the 2,000 – 4,000 word length fare much better in search. It’s something I’m planning on writing more about.

As far as frequency is concerned, I think you’re right Nina to focus on what stage the blogger is in. It makes a lot of sense to publish frequent, short, informative posts when trying to gain traction. At some point you enter a relationship with your readers, and they will give you permission to create completely different kinds of content.

Nina Amir April 9, 2015 at 4:33 pm

Yes, Joel, I agree. But this type of relationship takes time…and a lot of content under the bridge, so to speak.

Frances Caballo March 10, 2014 at 1:44 pm

I remember not too long ago you tackled a similar question: how long should blog posts should be? I think how often a blogger posts depends on how long their posts are. Bloggers who write in-depth posts … say 1,200 to 2,500, probably don’t need to post as often. But it really depends on the audience and the topic. Posting twice a week, while also writing guest posts, seems to be all I can handle right now. But I suspect my blog would do better if I posted more frequently.

Of course, then there’s Seth Godin, who breaks all of the rules.

Joel Friedlander March 10, 2014 at 2:16 pm

Good memory, Frances, this is in the same series of articles. Certainly if you write 4,000 word blog posts, you’re probably not going to be posting one every day. But bloggers are really different in their aims and their capacities, so it’s quite difficult to make “rules” that will apply to all. I’ve recently come across research that indicates longer posts are better for SEO, although many readers seem to prefer shorter articles that take less time to read and digest.

It all goes to prove that what’s most important is the blogger’s connection to her audience, because that’s the best guideline of all.

Frances Caballo March 10, 2014 at 3:37 pm

I absolutely agree, Joel. It does depend on the audience. If I are to write 4,000 word posts, I would probably combine a few and turn them into an ebook!

Michael Kelberer March 10, 2014 at 6:58 am

Hi Joel – Very helpful post. I noticed none of the examples were fiction writers. Where do you think they might fall on the spectrum? Any successful examples fiction writers can look to?

Joel Friedlander March 10, 2014 at 10:02 am

True, Michael. Fiction writers who blog have a very different situation, one that’s not as easy to solve. Some fiction writers I know spend much more time building their readership before taking on a regularly-published blog, while others try to attract readers by reviewing books in their genre or exploring the factual background to the settings or time period in which they write. And some have developed a readership simply by releasing bits and pieces of their writing over time. For the beginning fiction writer, blogging may not be as high a priority as it is for nonfiction writers, at least until they have an audience willing to extend them the permission they would need to write on other subjects.

Michael Kelberer March 10, 2014 at 10:36 am

Thanks, Joel. And your responses now appearing…
    Trying to adapt all I’ve learned about marketing, and especially social media, to fiction authors has been a challenge (altho a pretty fun one). I’m certain the same principles apply (being based on human behavior), but how exactly to apply them…

David A Roberts March 10, 2014 at 6:25 am

Great article. I’m just starting out in the blogging world and this is helpful. With a full time job, there is no way I could provide good content daily. I would like to do 2-3 times a week but start shaking when you start lookng at creating 100-150 articles a year. 50 a year still brings tears to my eyes. The writing part is easy, coming up with all those ideas will be the bigger challenge.

Joel Friedlander March 10, 2014 at 9:58 am

David, I hear you. But thinking about 50 articles will always be daunting. You only need to come up with one at a time, and there are many techniques for developing blog post ideas. You can have a look at just one of these here: How to Create an Endless Stream of Blog Post Ideas