Book Interiors provide you with professional-quality book interiors, handcrafted by Joel Friedlander, TheBookDesigner.com.
A Book Formatting Service for Publishers of All Sizes
Your readers are waiting to love and profit from your work, and our interior book designs will help you enchant them with your stories, your information, and your ideas.
What we do: We’ll take your final manuscript and turn it into a beautiful, readable book interior and provide you with the reproduction files you need to upload to CreateSpace, Lightning Source, or any other digital or offset printer of your choice.
Right now we have six designs for you to choose from for your novels, memoirs, narrative nonfiction, or other straight-text books.
This is a simple, easy-to-use service. Here’s how it works:
- Pick a design from our gallery just below. To get a good look at the way your readers will experience your book, click the “Download Sample” button to examine a full-size sample of each design.
- Next, fill out the submission form at the bottom of the page. You’ll need to upload your manuscript, too.
- You’ll get an acknowledgment that we received your submission form and manuscript, and within 24 hours (Monday through Friday) you’ll receive an estimate of costs.
- Once you agree, you’ll be asked to make a deposit via a Paypal invoice, and you’ll receive your complete page proofs in a week to ten days.
Ebook conversions: If your publishing plans include an ebook version, just check the box on the Submission Form and we’ll include a careful, handcrafted ebook conversion for Kindle and Epub in your estimate.
(See the “Important Information” farther down this page for complete details, file specifications, and other facts about our service.)
1. Pick Your Interior Design Here
2. Complete the Submission Form
It’s important to make sure that all the information on your submission form is accurate, so it pays to check it before you hit the “Submit” button.
We’ll only ask for the information we need, and nothing more. All the fields marked with an “*” are required.
3. Check Your Email for Your Acknowledgment & Estimate
You’ll receive an immediate acknowledgment that we’ve received your submission form and manuscript.
Within 24 hours (Monday through Friday) we’ll respond with your Estimate (or a request for more information if we were not able to create an Estimate from the information you’ve provided). For books that conform to our Standard Requirements (listed below) you can find out the cost of your book at the bottom of the Submission Form under “Cost Calculator.”
You’ll also get instructions on how to make your deposit via Paypal so we can get started turning your book into a thing of beauty.
4. You’ll Receive Your Book Page Proofs to Check and Approve
The page proofs for your book will arrive in a week to 10 days, depending on how busy we are. You’ll receive a PDF file with the entire interior of your book.
Important Information, Terms, and Conditions—Please Read
- Your manuscript file will not be shared in any way outside our production process.
- Delivery times are our best estimates, and some factors that influence these estimates are beyond our control.
- We do not accept projects under a performance deadline.
- By submitting your book, you also agree to allow me to use samples of your book design in my promotion. You can opt out of this usage at any time by notifying us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you decide not to use our service, we will delete all copies of your manuscript file upon notification at email@example.com.
Deposits and Payment
- A deposit equal to one-half of the estimated cost is required on all projects before work can proceed. Payment of this deposit signals your acceptance of our complete Estimate.
- Authors alterations: Your Estimate includes an allowance of one hour for author’s alterations, because we know from experience there’s always something that has to be corrected. These are changes you make to your manuscript after you submit it for production. If you exhaust this allowance, further changes will be charged at $90 per hour and added to the balance due on your project. The easy way to avoid this situation is to make sure that your book is final and complete, and by having it carefully proofread before uploading it for production.
- We only accept payment via Paypal. You do not have to have a Paypal account to use this payment service, but you do need a major credit card.
- The balance of your project fee will be billed when you accept the final page proof.
- Final payment must be received before reproduction files or application files are shipped.
What to Submit
- Microsoft Word for Mac 2011 or earlier
- Microsoft Word for Windows
- Apache Open Office, any version
- Pages for Mac ’09 or earlier
- Plain text files are fine, also
If your book conforms to these Standard Requirements, you can find the cost to create your book files at the bottom of the Submission Form, under “Cost Calculator.”
- Straight text with chapters, either numbered or unnumbered, with or without chapter titles
- No graphics in the book, including charts, photos, vector drawings, or any other kind of graphic with the exception of a publisher logo and/or an author photo
- No tabular composition
- No subheads, pull quotes, extracts, or sidebars
- The same typefaces throughout, so no parallel text streams that require different fonts
- Clean word processing file in one of the formats listed above
If your book doesn’t conform to these requirements, no worries. We’ll just need to create a custom estimate based on your manuscript and will send it to you within 24 hours of your submission (Mondays through Fridays).
Files and Ownership
- Upon request within 30 days of the completion of your project and payment of final invoice, we will be happy to send you the InDesign file for your book. We cannot, however, transfer the fonts used if they are commercially licensed fonts. You will receive information on where to buy the fonts used in your book.
- You cannot claim any ownership in the design used in your book.
- You cannot re-sell our design, loan it to a third party, or distribute it in any way other than selling or giving away the books you produce with our files.
- All designs are © and the exclusive property of Joel Friedlander (TheBookDesigner.com.)
- Unless you specify otherwise, we will include a small notice on your copyright page that reads: design by www.TheBookDesigner.com.
Resources to Help Get Your Book Ready for Production
I want you to get the best book you can, and that includes putting all the elements together correctly.
That’s why I’ve made my Book Construction Blueprint available at no charge.
This 30-page PDF will guide you through all the parts of a book, what order they should be in, and what job each part plays. It’s the easiest way to make sure your book is industry standard.
Combined with the beautiful typography and tasteful layouts of our Book Interior designs, you’re assured of a book that will impress your readers and stand the test of time.
Here’s the link to grab your copy of the Book Construction Blueprint
Preparing Your Manuscript File for Upload
Here are several articles you might want to look at that will help you get your manuscript in shape and ready for production:
Questions or Help
If you have any questions about the submission process, your Estimate, or anything else concerning this service, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll respond right away.
© 2013 Joel Friedlander—www.TheBookDesigner.com. All rights reserved. email@example.com