Webinar: The Indie Author’s Guide to Creating a Killer Media Kit

by Joel Friedlander on May 19, 2014 · 20 comments

Post image for Webinar: The Indie Author’s Guide to Creating a Killer Media Kit

Recently I’ve been looking at a lot of author websites, and it’s surprising how often I get the feeling that “something is missing.”

That “something” is a media kit.

And I think I know why. It would sound something like this:

• “It just seems like too much work.”
  • “Who has time when you’re organizing your blog tour?”
  • “What’s a media kit for anyway?”
  • “Oh yeah. Do I really need that?”

But you’re crippling your book marketing efforts if you listen to these voices.

Partnering With Joan Stewart, “The Publicity Hound”

I’ve been following Joan Stewart for years, and I was thrilled when I got to do several presentations with her at the IBPA Publishing University. She can present more actionable, real-world ideas faster and with more authority than anyone else I know.

Joan knows more about getting publicity for you, your books, your ideas, or the programs you’re trying to promote than just about anyone online. She was a newspaper editor for decades and has taught thousands of others how to get publicity themselves.

Joan and I put our heads together and came up with a way to make this job much easier for you, and I can’t wait to tell you about it.

We’ll be hosting a free webinar this Wednesday, May 21, at 4:00 p.m. Eastern (3:00 p.m. Central, 2:00 p.m. Mountain, 1:00 p.m. Pacific).

In the webinar we’ll walk through every component you need in your media kit and explain a bit about what they are and why you need them.

If you want to know why a media kit has such an impact on your book’s potential sales, read the post Joan has up today on her blog about the 7 different audiences your media kit can influence to help you sell a lot more books. Here’s the link:

Authors: Will your media kit disappoint these 7 audiences?

Get Your Seat Now for the Live Event

Seating at the webinar will be limited, as it always is. We’ve already filled over half the available seats, so if you want to participate in the live event, register now:

Media Kit Webinar

Even if you’re not sure you can make it, you should still register if you want Joan’s real-world tips on this crucial subject. We’ll have a replay of the webinar available, so you can watch it at a time that suits you.

Joan also has a very special bonus for 3 lucky people on the live webinar: we’ll select 3 people at random for a one-on-one personal consultation with Joan to review their own media kits.

So go read Joan’s article, then make sure to register for the webinar.

I’ll see you on Wednesday.

P.S. By the way, media kits work just as well for fiction as for nonfiction, and for both print books and ebooks. If you want to maximize your book’s chances for success, putting together a “killer” media kit is where you want to start.

Beryl Wright May 21, 2014 at 4:11 pm

I watched the seminar and it was fantastic. I’m sitting here with my credit card to purchase the media kit and templates for $67. I can’t find the link to actually purchase it.

Beryl Wright
    Webinar ID 965-799-744

Joel Friedlander May 21, 2014 at 4:12 pm

Hi Beryl,

Thanks for your interest. You can find the sales page here:

The Indie Author’s Guide to Creating a Killer Media Kit

Joan Stewart May 22, 2014 at 11:10 am

Beryl, so glad you could join us. Let us know what you think of the templates.

Phyllis Sather May 21, 2014 at 3:34 pm

I missed it! Can I still get the replay.

Joel Friedlander May 21, 2014 at 3:51 pm

Hi Phyllis, we’ll be emailing a link to the webinar replay by tomorrow, so as long as your on my email list or Joan’s you’ll get that email and can watch it when you have time.

Tony Arangio May 21, 2014 at 2:33 pm

Dear Joe and Joan,
    Enjoyed the webinar. Been a newsletter subscriber and all your materials are helpful. The particular piece of the kit I need more urgently is the “sale sheets for live events.” Was getting ready to start on one tomorrow although have a week. Even though book out published, press release out and distributed and a great Kirkus review just in, still want to purchase the offer. But having trouble locating the offer and the review of the items included on the site. Please help.

Joel Friedlander May 21, 2014 at 2:36 pm

Hi Tony, thanks for attending. You can find all the info about the product and special offers on the sales page here:

The Indie Author’s Guide to Creating a Killer Media Kit

If you still have any questions, let me know.

Barbara May 21, 2014 at 2:14 pm

I listened to the seminar, want to buy the media kit product, forgot to write the direct link down, and now I can’t find a link on your website! How can I buy this?

Joel Friedlander May 21, 2014 at 2:18 pm
    Cara May 20, 2014 at 12:11 pm

Wow, I have been doing so much research on self-publishing for months now in anticipation of self-publishing this fall, and this is the first I’ve heard of a media kit. The article is fantastic, Joan, and so helpful! If only I weren’t working, I would definitely attend the webinar. I’ll keep an eye out for ways to view it in the future.

Joan Stewart May 20, 2014 at 12:21 pm

Not to worry, Cara. We’re offering a replay. Joel will share the link here as soon as it’s up.

Melanie Abed May 19, 2014 at 6:17 pm

Hi Joel,

This looks great, thank you! I’m looking forward to Wednesday.

Thanks,
    Melanie

Joel Friedlander May 19, 2014 at 6:27 pm

Thanks, Melanie. We had a rehearsal today, and I think it’s going to be quite helpful.

Joan Stewart May 20, 2014 at 3:06 am

Melanie, it will be great to have you with us. I’m so excited about the material Joel and I have prepared.

Meg May 19, 2014 at 2:12 am

Hi Joel,

I’ve signed up for the webinar, but can’t access the link for “Will your media kit disappoint these 7 audiences?”. Is there any other way to access it, please?

Thanks,

Meg

Joel Friedlander May 19, 2014 at 9:50 am

Meg, sorry for the trouble. Here’s a direct link to the article: http://publicityhound.com/blog/authors-will-your-media-kit-disappoint-these-7-audiences

Meg May 20, 2014 at 1:25 am

Hi Joel,

Thanks very much, but it’s still not working… I guess I’ll have to wait in suspense for the webinar instead! :-)

Thanks anyway,
    Meg

Joan Stewart May 20, 2014 at 3:07 am

Hey Meg, try a different browser. I just tried it in Chrome and it works fine on this end. If it still doesn’t work, try rebooting your computer.

Meg May 20, 2014 at 3:09 am

Hi, thanks. :-)

It must just be me I think then? I’ve tried it on PC and laptop (firefox) and on tablet (Chrome)… to no avail. Computer says “no”, unfortunately!

Meg