52 Great Blogs for Self-Publishers

by Joel Friedlander on November 23, 2010 · 72 comments

Post image for 52 Great Blogs for Self-Publishers

Editor’s note: This is an updated version of a post originally titled 36 Great Blogs for Self-Publishers. I’ll be taking the next a couple of days off. I wish you and those close to you a fulfilling holiday, and I’ll see you on Friday. Thanks for reading!

I guess the first really “social” media was blogs. Blogs were an early sign of a fundamental shift in the media firmament. The idea that the broadcaster (the blogger) would interact directly with the audience (the readers) was explosive. And given the chance, we became social to an extent undreamed of before social media roared to life.

Blogs have become one the largest sources of news, information and opinion in the media landscape. There are few newspapers, fewer television stations. But there are millions of blogs.

Blogs for Self-Publishers

For the latest news, trends and analysis In self-publishing, support for writers, insight into the publishing process, and the transition to digital books, these are the blogs I read. No, they aren’t all self-publishers or even self-publishing advocates, and their appearance on this list doesn’t imply any kind of approval on their part.

No, I’ve curated this list myself. We need a lot of perspectives to really see the field of indie publishing. Change in the publishing industry is accelerating. Every blog on this list teaches me about how to publish, what to publish, and what’s coming in indie publishing. I hope you enjoy them.

Because you may want to click away from the list to visit these blogs, here’s a link you can bookmark when you want to come back:

52 Great Blogs for Self-Publishers

Here’s a short URL: http://ht.ly/3e4sd

Have a great time!

Note: The blogs do not appear in any particular order. If I’ve missed a blog that should be here, would you be so kind as to leave me a comment with the url and I will have a look.

This is a clickable list. Just click each graphic to visit that blog.

POD, Self Publishing and Indie Publishing
blogs self-publishers penny sansevieri
blogs self-publishing jakonrath
blogs self-publishing tribal author jonathan fields
joanna penn self-publishing blogs book marketing
walt shiel self-publishing blogs book publishing
dana lynn smith self-publishing blogs book marketing
levi montgomery self-publishing blogs fiction writing
jane friedman self-publishing blogs
cathy stucker the idea lady book marketing self-publishing
seth godin book marketing self-publishing
zoe winters indie reader self-publishing
carla king self-publishing boot camp
april L. hamilton indie author self-publishing
publetariat april hamilton self-publishing indie author
stephen windwalker kindle self-publishing blogs
steve weber self-publishing book marketing social media
alan rinzler book publishing blogs
michael n. marcus self-publishing blogging
mark coker smashwords ebooks self-publishing
tom colvin writing and publishing
christy pinheiro self-publishing
cheryl anne garner self-publishing book reviews
freya rehman book buzzr book marketing self-publishing
tony eldridge book marketing internet business
henry baum self-publishing review fiction
aaron shepard self-publishing aiming at amazon
mark barrett ditchwalk self-publishing storytelling
bob spear book trends self-publishing
dualit self-publshing indie publishing book design
thomas umstattd author tech tips self-publishing
brian clark copyblogger copywriting self-publishing
guy lecharles gonzalez digital book world ebooks
john kremer book marketing self-publishing
morris rosenthal self-publishing 2.0 print on demand
sue collier self-publishing resources tom ross marilyn ross
henry hutton publish and sell lulu.com self-publishing
victoria strauss writer beware blog self-publishing joel friedlander
julia lindsey our little books self-publishing
open publishing guide RIT book design self-publishing
judith briles the book shepherd self-publishing
carol denbow a book inside self-publishing

TLC Graphics blogs for self publishers
Writing and Publishing News self publishing blogs
Author Assist self publishing blogs
Writing Spirit Blog for self publishers
Spirit Authors blogs for self publishers
Small Press World blogs for self publishers
Full Time Author blogs for self publishers
Marketing Christian Books blogs for self publishers
Self-Publishing Today blogs

Well, that’s the 52 blogs, as promised. But, if you include this one, there’s actually 53:

joel friendlander thebookdesigner.com self-publishing book design

So go forth and read, read, read. The publishing world is changing so fast no one person can keep up with developments. It’s through the combined work of all these dedicated bloggers that we can at least know we’re keeping up with the leading edge of change.

Image licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License, original work copyright by Titanas, http://www.flickr.com/photos/titanas/528117800/

Rima November 23, 2010 at 6:45 am

Joel, I now know what I will be spending my whole day doing. :) (Hey, it’s research, right?) Thank you!

Joel Friedlander November 23, 2010 at 8:56 am

I take full responsibility, Rima. Enjoy your day!

Sylvia Hubbard November 23, 2010 at 7:37 am

THIS WAS AWESOME UPON AWESOME!!!

Thank you for this list that is very valuable!!

Joel Friedlander November 23, 2010 at 8:57 am

Glad you like it, Sylvia. It was awesome fun to put together.

Doug Lance November 23, 2010 at 9:31 am

Hey Joel,

Great list. I am missing a lot of those from my RSS reader. You wouldn’t happen to have an OPML file of those subscriptions would you? That would rock!

Thanks

Joel Friedlander November 23, 2010 at 11:20 am

Sure, Doug. Didn’t know about OPML files until you asked, but I’ll look into it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Doug Lance November 23, 2010 at 11:26 am

I actually ended up subscribing to all of them manually, but yeah for future reference they’re great for big-time blog subscribers like myself. With 300+ blogs in my reader OPML files can be really handy.

Thanks again for putting together this list!

Sue Collier November 23, 2010 at 9:46 am

Great additions, Joel! I’ll be checking my own blog roll to add some of these. And thanks for including me again. =)

Joel Friedlander November 23, 2010 at 11:21 am

My pleasure, thanks for all you do, Sue.

Lovelyn November 23, 2010 at 1:57 pm

There are some blogs on this list that I don’t know about. I’ll have to check them out. Thanks.

Mark Coker November 23, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Thanks for including the Smashwords Blog, Joel! I’m honored to be included with such a fabulous group of people.

mark

Joel Friedlander November 23, 2010 at 6:23 pm

My pleasure, Mark. Smashwords is a key resource for more and more self-publishers.

Suzanne Fyhrie Parrott November 24, 2010 at 4:04 am

WE have a site dedicated to the education and help of ePublishing. Please take a look, as we would love to be on your list.

UnrulyGuides.com

Joel Friedlander November 28, 2010 at 10:27 am

Suzanne, thanks for bringing the Unruly Guides to my attention, I’ll keep it in mind when we revise the list again.

Christy Pinheiro November 24, 2010 at 8:42 am

Thanks for the shout-out Joel! This is a great list and seems to get better every time you add to it.

Vikram Narayan November 25, 2010 at 9:26 pm

Thanks for including the BookBuzzr blog into this list. It has inspired us to go out there and further improve the quality of our content.

Michelle at Clover Hill Book Reviews November 28, 2010 at 3:04 am

Fantastic resource :)

Mark LaFlamme January 13, 2011 at 11:26 am

My feed reader is getting fat.

Joel Friedlander January 13, 2011 at 11:41 am

It’s important to remember you can be fit at any size, Mark, so keep feeding that baby.

Judy Croome May 31, 2011 at 11:29 am

Enjoy your days off Joel!

Elmi October 7, 2011 at 1:56 pm

A year later, and still relevant :). Thanks, this is such a comprehensive list — I’ll definitely be adding the feeds that I don’t have already to my reader as well.

Tim October 12, 2011 at 10:42 pm

What a great resource! Thanks for compiling that for all of us. Since blogging is a big part of promotion for self-pubs, I’d like to throw out a link to http://www.problogger.net which offers a lot of helpful and practical tips.

Joel Friedlander October 12, 2011 at 10:58 pm

Thanks, Tim. I’ve learned a lot from Darren Rowse, the original Pro Blogger.

Elmi October 19, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Hi Joel,
    I took a look at all the sites on your list, and thought you might appreciate some feedback:

IndiePubJournal.com and The Publishing Maven (selfpublishingreview.blogspot.com) does not exist anymore.

JA Konrath from A Newbie’s Guide to Publishing is no longer actively blogging (announcement made on 6 Oct ’11). He made an open call for freelancers to contribute though, so things might not change too much.

Kindle Nation Daily’s address has changed. It is now KindleNationDaily.com.

I have subscribed to all the blogs (except for 6 that don’t have [working] RSS feeds) and Doug Lance’s comment about OPML files made me curious. Long story short, I created an OPML file of the entire list which is available here for download, if you want: http://www.box.net/shared/khzfzcby6im31jjdzx6y

Amy Joy December 5, 2011 at 8:09 am

Thank you for the list. I have visited quite a few of these, and they are very good. I am looking forward to visiting those I am unfamiliar with.

Best wishes to all self-pubbers! :)

Colin Dunbar December 7, 2011 at 2:39 am

This is a Suuuuuuper collection. Thank you, Joel.

Sarkari Naukri February 1, 2013 at 2:34 am

Colin Dunbar bro Super collection and also Super Feedback ?
    and if any need Govt Jobs in India Then Go To > sarkarinaukrithegovtjobs.com
    Updates daily notification on state and centeral Govt.jobs that help to search and get Jobs in India.<

Marcia Richards December 7, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Awesome list, Joel! Thanks for taking the time to compile it.

Rosemary Augustine December 7, 2011 at 5:25 pm

This is a great list… thank you so much for providing this…It’s bookmarked for sure! Thanks Again!

Michael A. Robson December 7, 2011 at 9:08 pm

The Book Deal is absolutely awesome! Rinzler is the best.

Truven Jorge December 25, 2011 at 9:00 am

Thanks a million Joel, this is a great list. Helps us gain valuable insights in providing our customers with better services. I would like to share a link you might be interested in http://www.publishing-next.com/.
    Thanks once again.

Terry Cordingley January 4, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Shameless plug: I’d like to suggest my own blog for your list. Although I work for a publisher, my blog is read by authors with other publishers, as well as those who are self-published. It covers a wide range of book marketing topics and questions about the publishing industry, and I frequently answer questions posted to my blog or emailed to me. Thanks!

Joseph Stalin May 7, 2012 at 10:29 am

Quote: “I guess the first really “social” media was blogs.”

This gruesome first sentence could scarcely be worse.

Firstly it’s a grammatical obscenity. Both blogs and media are plural nouns.

Should be: “I guess the first really “social” media were blogs.” That’s were were WERE.

Secondly, the use of quotation marks around the word social is imbecilic. What are you trying to say, that social media is so-called social? Social media is well-accepted term and putting it in quotation marks makes you seem semi-literate, like the uneducated half-wits who put quotation marks around every second word in their “ad copy” to try and, you know, “sell” you know “things” with their “words.”

Quotation marks are used for verbatim quotations or in rare instances to demonstrate the dubious nature of the enclosed term.

Thirdly, the words “I guess” at the start of your assertion make whatever you have to say seem . . . aw just forget it, I don’t even know why I’m wasting my time giving out free editorial lessons.

The world needs more appreciative audiences and less wannabe hacks spewing their textual garbage all over the net.

Marcia Richards May 7, 2012 at 11:51 am

I have to take issue with your comment, Joseph Stalin.
    “Ninety-nine per cent of these self published “writers” – now there’s some correct usage! – should quit worrying about publishing and start getting a basic education in the craft of writing but they’re not going to do that because it’s hard, and it requires a level of intelligence they don’t possess, not to mention a tiny little thing called talent which by definition belongs to a tiny gifted minority.”
    Where are your facts to back up your claim? What have you written? Are you a best-selling author? What are your credentials in holding judgment over others?
    Your comment is rude, harsh and prejudicial. I’ll grant you that some people are better at grammar and spelling than others. An editor is an important tool for a writer. It would be nice if everyone took advantage of that tool. However, I’ve found many typos in traditionally published books, as well. Editors are human and can miss errors, too.
    You would do well to learn how to be respectful of others. Giving an opinion is acceptable. Trashing a huge group of people or someone’s blog is totally unacceptable behavior. You earned yourself no traffic to your own website and, certainly, no friends.

To Joel: This person was so abrasive and disrespectful to you that I had to say something. I apologize if my own comment doesn’t sit well with you or your readers.

Joel Friedlander May 24, 2012 at 11:19 am

Marcia,

No problem, and I appreciate your comment, so thanks. I don’t generally respond to anonymous posters, so I’m kind of glad you took the trouble to do so.

Libby Fischer Hellmann May 24, 2012 at 6:30 am

Nice list, but I think you’ve missed two very important blogs:

and

Kriswrites.com (Her Thursday Business Rusch post)

Joel Friedlander May 24, 2012 at 11:15 am

Hi Libby,

Thanks for the additions, both of which I also read. You probably noticed this list was last updated in late 2010, and there has been a lot of activity in this area since then. Later this summer we’ll be completely revising the list and soliciting input from readers.

Brian May 24, 2012 at 8:01 am

This is a website for authors (agent-back or self-publishing) to post the first five pages of their literary work and get feedback and comments from literary contacts, their friends and family. Getting onto the site is easy, just contact the site owner Tabitha by sending her an email at tabitha_short@hotmail.com and she’ll tell you what information she needs to post the story. Stories stay posted as the Featured Story for a week and remain on the site indefinitely unless directed otherwise. There is NO FEE for this site and they also will run a contest for authors during their Featured week. Check it out, I’ve found a number of authors who found this site useful and even made quite a few sales from it.

Annie Anomy June 23, 2012 at 5:18 am

Hi! My name is Annie and I have tried to compile a blog reviewing the different Self Publishing Companies. My blog is not as informative as the blogs I’ve looked over on this site but it can be used as a reference guide to pricing or available packages being offered by different Self Publishing Companies. You can visit my blog at: http://anonymousann.blogspot.com/. Thank you everyone! :)

Colton Joseph September 16, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Amazing list of awesome blogs. I read every single one of these on this list. I am starting my own self-publishing eBook store and this article has been of tremendous help. Thank you very much!!

- Colton Joseph (CEO & Founder of novelnook.com)

russ October 12, 2012 at 1:07 am

Hi
    I want to publish ateaching book in pdf file format with embedded soundtracks. I am having difficulty in finding a marketing outlet that can handle this – for example amazon kindle can’t handle it. Any ideas very welcome
    Ta
    Russ

Colin Dunbar October 25, 2012 at 2:29 am

Hello Joel
    The link to Indie Author’s blog is broken (http://indiereader.com/blog/)
    Cheers

Dream For Change February 1, 2013 at 2:25 am

Thanks Colin Dunbar informing For That :-(
    Now Don’t Sleep Get up Please

paola November 7, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Dear Joel thanks for all your recomendations, well I just published a new great book called Universes within the universe, everybody says the book is brilliant, this my first book, but now I am having some truble in marketing it. I am not an expert on that. If you can help me it would be great

Regards

Paola SAnjinez

Mooch February 1, 2013 at 2:32 am

Sarkari Naukri The Govt Jobs on sarkarinaukrithegovtjobs.com : Updates daily notification on state and central Govt.jobs that help to search and get Jobs in India.

book publishing websites February 1, 2013 at 2:39 am

Bookfarms.com is book publishing websites, you can find here self publishing ebook & free digital books. You can also search for documents and books to quickly find what you are looking for.

Mooch February 1, 2013 at 2:43 am

Greatlinksdirectory.com GreatLinksDirectory.com is a SEO friendly directory offering useful listing to its visitors through simple and search engine friendly navigation. This SEO friendly web directory delivers high quality resources to increase visibility in search engines.

Jericho July 29, 2013 at 2:41 pm

I don’t know if this useful because its not a blog per se but a great bit of input from a self published author that got signed to Puffin because of his work http://youtu.be/-7KwmS4Quhg
    I like his viewpoint that if he can get signed through self publishing anyone else can.
    J.

Raymond Wynne August 28, 2013 at 3:33 am

Hi There . A new website called publibug.com was launched this week which offers the best deal for authors. It is a digital self-publishing site and links each book to the actual author social media network. I buy magazines through their sister site so they are legitimate. I like the way that they have designed the site and that they explain the terms and conditions simply.

Gene Warner July 5, 2014 at 6:41 am

A “best deal” for self-publishing authors is hard to find. That’s why I turned into a complete d-i-y’er for my own books. Seeing all the bad deals offered (many of which are disgusting, I must say) I’ve been working on the development of a better alternative — http://www.boysmindbooks.com/publishing/publishing.html. For those who want or need these sorts of services, this is a very practical and absolutely legitimate way to get one’s work (print and ebook versions) professionally edited and proof-read, and into the distribution channels, with the least possible up-front cost.