Copyright Page Samples You Can Copy and Paste Into Your Book

by Joel Friedlander on January 15, 2010 · 94 comments

copyrightOne of the most common questions I get from new self-publishers is, “What do I put on the copyright page?” For some reason, the copyright page has the power to intimidate some people, with its small print and legalistic language, not to mention all those mysterious numbers.

But it doesn’t have to be that way. There are a few necessary items on the copyright page, and others that publishers add for various reasons. I’ve treated the copyright page in some detail in other posts, so if you want background please check here: Self-Publishing Basics: The Copyright Page. In a guest post, Joanne Bolton supplied some useful information for books that are printed overseas, and you can find her post here: Copyright Page Requirements for Books Printed Overseas.

To see the place of the copyright page within the book as a whole, check out An Unabridged List of the Parts of a Book.

The only elements required on a copyright page are the copyright notice itself:

© 2009 Joel Friedlander

And some statement giving notice that the rights to reproduce the work are reserved to the copyright holder.

All Rights Reserved.

Next you’ll see two versions of the copyright page, one long page with a CIP data block and a short version. Feel free to copy and paste these into your book file. Just remember to put your own information in.

Sample of a Long Copyright Page with CIP Data Block

Here’s an example of a copyright page that has the necessary elements, then adds ordering information, web address, CIP Data block (I’ve put this in blue so you can identify what is included; replace this with your own or delete it if you’re not obtaining CIP), edition information, and printing numbers (the string at the bottom) and dates for future editions.

Copyright © 2010 by Bill Shakespeare

All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of the publisher, except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical reviews and certain other noncommercial uses permitted by copyright law. For permission requests, write to the publisher, addressed “Attention: Permissions Coordinator,” at the address below.

Imaginary Press
1233 Pennsylvania Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94909
www.imaginarypress.com

Ordering Information:
Quantity sales. Special discounts are available on quantity purchases by corporations, associations, and others. For details, contact the publisher at the address above.
Orders by U.S. trade bookstores and wholesalers. Please contact Big Distribution: Tel: (800) 800-8000; Fax: (800) 800-8001 or visit www.bigbooks.com.

Printed in the United States of America

Publisher’s Cataloging-in-Publication data
Shakespeare, William.
A title of a book : a subtitle of the same book / Bill Shakespeare ; with Ben Johnson.
p. cm.
ISBN 978-0-9000000-0-0
HF0000.A0 A00 2010
299.000 00–dc22 2010999999

First Edition

14 13 12 11 10 / 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

A Short Copyright Page Example

Here’s a very short and to the point copyright page. It gives the necessary elements and not much more:

Copyright © 2010 by Wily E. Coyote
All rights reserved. This book or any portion thereof
may not be reproduced or used in any manner whatsoever
without the express written permission of the publisher
except for the use of brief quotations in a book review.

Printed in the United States of America

First Printing, 2010

ISBN 0-9000000-0-0

Falling Anvil Publishing
123 Mesa Street
Scottsdale, AZ 00000

www.FallingAnvilBooks.com

This is the quick and easy way to get generic copyright page language into your book. Even with this short example, your copyright page will do the job it’s supposed to do, and give interested parties the means to contact you for publishing-related questions.

Next: Tomorrow we’ll cover using disclaimers and giving credit on the copyright page. Watch for it, and let me know if you have questions about the copyright page. I’ll see if I can answer them.

Self-Publisher's-Quick-Easy-Guide-CopyrightWant to know more about copyright? Need some sample copyright pages to drop into your book? Confused about the things you read online about copyright? Check out this 30-page easy-to-read guide. Click The Self-Publisher’s Quick & Easy Guide to Copyright for more info, or Buy Now as PDF or Kindle.

Rigoberto Pimeda November 30, 2014 at 4:02 pm

Thank you so much Joel for your free advice about the copyright notice.
    I am new self publishing author, and I’m about to release my first work, which is called “The Simple (Yet Wonderful) Story of my Life”.
    It is a simple work about my childhood, and how you can always find happiness even though life has been rough with you.
    Hope I’ll have it ready by middle of December 2014.
    Thanks.

Shuju November 29, 2014 at 12:40 am

Hi Joel!

First of all, thanks so much for all the information in this page. This is awesome and so very helpful. I think I’ve got several tabs open with different articles from you.

This Thanksgiving/Christmas, I thought I’d do a project making a free ebook of a short story I wrote some five years ago for a grieving friend. She said it helped her so much that she passed it around to different people who were in the same circumstances as her, often changing the name and description of the lead.

I’m not sure about copyright, but Smashwords and Kindle require a copyright page. I’d like people to be able to use the story like that too– is “some rights reserved” allowable in a copyright page?

Shaunte November 14, 2014 at 4:59 pm

Thank you so much for these examples!!! They are a tremendous help for me as I am in the beginning stages of self-publishing my memoir.

Nando Lim November 13, 2014 at 12:49 am

Thanks a lot for the guide, implemented this on my site.

Bonnie October 31, 2014 at 9:27 am

I’ve written a novel, loosely based on my life but all characters have fictional names. I am describing, however, a real website I created (but never successfully launched). So that website name is real (although currently defunct). Others I created are fictitious. Still other website names used in the book are real businesses. Do I need to get their permission to use their website name in the book? I use them either in passing or as an example of someone doing something really positive.

Missy October 17, 2014 at 7:43 am

Hi Joel,
    We print a product catalog every year and use the standard – “All images and designs c (copyright symbol) 2003-2014 Artistry in Mosaics, Inc. Every year we update the current year. We have also changed our 2002 to 2003 due to the fact that all of our 2002 designs have been redesigned so we no longer have 2002 designs.

My question is – is it important to have a beginning and current year at all. Could we do some like 2003-Present?

Thanks for you help.

Kim September 19, 2014 at 5:59 am

what if you had contact the author instead of publisher if you self publish? and or would you suggest putting both?

Nancy August 27, 2014 at 1:00 pm

Joel, thanks a million for all the great info!

I know you can’t provide legal advice re copyright, but let me ask what you might suggest in this situation:

I’m publishing a novel written by a (deceased) author who had five successful books in the 1950s but nothing published since. I have permission from her (three) heirs, but I requested a NON-EXCLUSIVE right to publish the book (in case a big publisher suddenly popped up wanting to publish a new book by this author who sold over half a million of her books in the 1950s).

I’m using a version of your sample “all rights reserved” statement, but I’m wondering if I should replace “written permission of the publisher” with “written permission of the publisher or copyright holders”? Because if someone else wanted to publish the book, too (say, a hardcover edition, which I’m not planning), they could apply directly to the copyright holders instead of to me. Does this make sense to you?

Thanks very much,
    Nancy

Sandy August 23, 2014 at 12:29 pm

Dear Joel,
    I’m in the process of finalizing my proof with CreateSpace. I’ve decided I want to add my LLC to the copyright page. What would be the correct verbiage to use? Also, when recording the copyright in DC, may I record the LLC as the copyright holder?
    Many thanks,
    Sandy

Joel Friedlander August 24, 2014 at 1:02 pm

Sandy, there’s no particular differing in listing a company that’s an LLC or a sole proprietorship, or any other kind of business organization. Just list the name and contact details for whatever entity is in the role of publisher. And yes, you can copyright the book in your company’s name. Please note that I don’t give legal advice, so if you want an authoritative answer, I recommend putting your questions to an intellectual property lawyer.

Cindy August 22, 2014 at 1:10 pm

Joel, The museum I volunteer for is publishing a book that is in the public domain. How should the copyright page be created?

Joel Friedlander August 22, 2014 at 2:02 pm

If you haven’t added any new material, like an introduction or preface, you don’t need a copyright page. Treat this page just like a copyright page but without the copyright notice or rights language. It will still fulfill the functions (publisher contact, etc.) that the copyright page usually fulfills. You can include a notice that the work is in the public domain (and what previous work it’s based on, if any) but that’s up to you.

Cindy August 24, 2014 at 2:24 pm

Thank you for this information Joel.

Ian Oliver, Future Author August 16, 2014 at 9:01 pm

Hi. Just wanna say that this site helped me start my own book. Thanks!

shiri June 24, 2014 at 9:12 am

Dear Joel,
    I asked in many forums if a copyright notice is copyrighted itself.
    I’ve been told that technically it might be, but practically – the odds that someone would require copyrights on it – are small.
    Can I use one of the copyrights notices mentions above in this article?

Thanks in advance

Adam June 23, 2014 at 10:27 am

Excellent article thank you, but the one thing I was looking for wasn’t mentioned. I am writing a gamebook and would like to “hide” things on the copyright page. What is permissible that wouldn’t void the copyright. Off the top of my head; following my real web address with an “obviously” fake one same with phone #, names etc. Maybe I would need to put them all at the bottom under a separator line?

Scott Hunter May 27, 2014 at 7:08 am

Mr Friedlander,

I forgot to say that I had just downloaded your self publishing guide.

I take it there is no such thing as an online house that is non-vanity publishing?
    Who takes a cut only if the book sells?

Kind regards,

Scott

Scott Hunter May 27, 2014 at 7:04 am

Thanks very much Mr Friedlander,

Are you based in Scottsdale? Might we have met when lived there?
    My father wrote Flight of the Phoenix and created QUILLER.

I’m doing my first thriller.

Scott Hunter

(JP Trevor)

Joel Friedlander May 27, 2014 at 10:50 am

Scott, no I’m in California and have only been to Scottsdale a few times, although years ago I was a big Quiller fan and believe I read all of the Quiller books, your father had a unique style of writing.

As far as “non-vanity” there are numerous subsidy publishers who will publish your book for a fee, but the only ones I know who don’t charge up front and only take a percentage of sales are ebook distributors like Smashwords and Bookbaby.

Caroline May 12, 2014 at 9:32 am

Hi Joel,
    I’m a first time author and your posts have been really helpful to me.
    I just have one question. I am planning on self-publishing my book with Create space. I have the book completely finished and edited (though no images yet or hard cover). I recently sent the manuscript to the copyright office via their efile method. I just read that you mentioned the book should be published first then send for copyright. Did I do the wrong thing or is it okay for me to just send my manuscript to Create space with a copyright notice? I also understand I don’t need to wait for my certificate before I publish. If so, what do I send them?
    Thank you for your time and sorry for the silly questions!
    Caroline

Joel Friedlander May 12, 2014 at 9:43 am

Hi Caroline, you didn’t do the usual thing, but that doesn’t mean it was “wrong.” It’s better for a number of reasons to register your copyright after publication, but I wouldn’t worry about it. Your manuscript should include a copyright page with all the necessary information including your copyright notice, but you don’t need to send CreateSpace anything else. Good luck with your book!

Michael Carleton March 13, 2014 at 9:09 am

Hello, Mr. Friedlander –
    just google-stumbled upon your article as I was preparing some front matter for my first shot at preparing a kindle edition for Amazon. Good, clear, info – thanks. Not sure if you’re still monitoring this thread, but I had a quick (hopefully) question: I’m putting together an anthology of my short stories, one of which was published previously (@ 15 years ago). The rights at the time were a one-time deal, so I was wondering how to phrase/list that fact, as I assume it would be something to include on the copyright page? Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Joel Friedlander May 12, 2014 at 9:41 am

Hi Michael, you can just note that that particular piece “previous appeared in …” on your copyright page.

Mpumezo January 2, 2014 at 4:53 pm

Very informative. I am currently busy writing a book so this article was very helpful. Thank you.

Helen January 2, 2014 at 4:32 pm

Hi Joel,

Brilliant article. Straight to the point, informative – exactly what I was after. Thank you!

– Helen

Kath December 20, 2013 at 2:39 pm

Hi. I’m planning to publish my novel as a Ebook using a pen name. How will this affect the copyright of my work. Although I’m UK based the novel will obviously be available worldwide. Do I need to register copyright in other countries and/or use my real name? Many thanks for any advice you can give. Good wishes Kath

John Citrigno December 14, 2013 at 11:32 am

Hi Joel

I’m in the process of publishing my first book, and as others have said this blog post and your other references have been very helpful! Thank you!

My situation doesn’t appear to be address yet: I am doing a photo book of the home I designed and built (www.21stCenturyEichler.com) and I have secured the rights from the professional photographer to use his photos which he has separately copyrighted. He get “Photography by” credit on the cover and his Bio is published therein along with mine at the back of the book. I am ready to self-publish and print (through Blurb’s “BookSmart” software/process). I don’t like their copyright notice and logo so I am going to pay extra to have their authorization to you my own copyright notice (and the photographer’s company logo).

Without knowing otherwise, my plan is to use the basic copyright notice using BOTH of our names. (e.g. “Copyright © 2013 by My Name and Photographer Name”)

Is THIS the “correct” way to handle such (a two author book, wherein one author is doing the design/layout/text (writing) and the other is providing the photos)?

John Citrigno December 14, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Joel

I just discovered and viewed your “Saturday Q&A piece and video re: Copyright” which answered most of my question (above).

Please let us know if you have anything to add on this subject.

Thanks!

John

Edward Baggett November 16, 2013 at 10:53 am

I’m in the process of self-publishing my first book. And this site was helpful in so many ways. It really put things into a 1-2-3 process. Thank you.

Gale Leach October 7, 2013 at 3:52 pm

Hi Joel,

Thanks so much for all the great information you share with us.
    I’ve published several books through my own publishing company. Now they are getting new covers and I read that they should become second editions because of that and get new ISBN numbers as well. The only thing that is different is the cover of each book. My question regards the copyright: does it remain the original date or is it updated because of the new edition and ISBN?
    Thanks again,
    Gale

Joel Friedlander October 8, 2013 at 4:14 pm

Gale, if the content and title are the same, you don’t need a new ISBN, and they should not be marked “2nd edition”. The copyright is unaffected, since it only applies to the text of the book, which is the same.

nasser August 6, 2013 at 9:00 am

Thank’s alot.

Danni July 25, 2013 at 12:19 am

Hi Joel,

I have only just started writing my book. It was originally an online blog that Im turning into a memoir. Although I have nothing printed yet to copyright, I really want to protect the title from being used elsewhere as I feel it is a strong one. There was quite a lot of traffic to my blog in the States and I want to make sure the title isnt picked up for use in TV, Film or someone else’s book! Do you have any idea who I can achieve this? If I write a cover title page with the date I created it would that suffice? Or must it be going to print before I can have any ownership rights over the title? Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks, Danni

Mike Cooper July 14, 2013 at 4:18 am

Can I put for an ebook
    Copyright © 2010 by http://www.abcwebsite.com , All rights reserved ?

Also, is it possible to register an ebook in the Library of Congress Catalog Number ?

Thanks

Donna June 24, 2013 at 5:50 pm

The copyright page of my book states: First Edition,
    Limited Edition ISBN 978-1-59606-465-2, Trade Edition ISBN
    978-1-59606-466-9. It also states the name of the book and
    Copyright date. Also provides dust jacket and interior illustrations Coyright etc. What does all this mean? Also the book is autographed.

Joel Friedlander June 24, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Donna, here’s a link to a page that will explain the stuff on the copyright page. Copyright Page Information

Leslie May 17, 2013 at 11:32 am

Thanks Joel, I ended up putting this on the copyright page:
    {{PD-US}} These images are in the public domain because their copyright’s have expired.
    Yes i have a website, blog and will do a custom FB page. But a little leery of putting FB logo on my book saying : find us on facebook. Looks like FB recently redid all their permission guidelines and it is not yet clear to me if they still allow.

Leslie May 17, 2013 at 9:58 am

Hi Joel,

What about including a Facebook link on my self published book, well not a link, but starting a new facebook page with the book title and referencing that?

Joel Friedlander May 17, 2013 at 11:03 am

You can certainly put any links you like on your book. Facebook is a good choice IF that’s where you expect to find and interact with a lot of your readers. But don’t forget a blog or website where you can encourage Facebook users to go and where you can interact with them in a number of productive ways.

Leslie May 17, 2013 at 9:47 am

Hi Joel,
    I want to use a photograph in my book that I know is in the public domain.
    Should I type this: {{PD-US}} on my copyright page near the name of that image? And do I have to also include the PD-US logo (copyright symbol with a slash through it)

Thanks

Joel Friedlander May 17, 2013 at 11:01 am

If the photo is in the public domain, no notice is necessary Leslie. Of course you can cite the source as a matter of courtesy to the originator and thoughtfulness for your readers, but it’s not required.

Dustin Terrell May 16, 2013 at 9:54 am

Hi Again Joel,
    The book is based on my character on a little role-playing site called Immortal Night. Would I have to get their copyright and address too, and put that on the copyrighted page…since I am one of the millions of members on that site, or could I just leave it alone and not bother with it.

Joel Friedlander May 16, 2013 at 11:05 am

Dustin, you can use any form of contact info that works for you, including your personal email, although I don’t recommend it. A “company” email would work fine.

As far as the second question, if you are using the copyrighted creations, images, or other content that belongs to someone else, it’s wise to ask permission. Since I don’t know anything about your project, this is simply generic advice, and you might want to consult with an intellectual property attorney if you’re concerned about it.

Dustin Terrell May 16, 2013 at 9:50 am

Hello Joel,

For my Copyright page, could I put MY email for them to email me to ask for permission? this is what I am getting stuck on all the time…figured i should get help.

Russell May 1, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Hi Joel,

Can I ask if there is a standard copyright page format for Singapore?

Thanks

Janine Werchinski-Yates April 18, 2013 at 8:39 am

Hi Joel,
    Thank you for taking the time to help all of us newbies out here! :)
    I am putting together the copyright page for a children’s picture book. I will have book in hand Sept/Oct of 2013. I have read that since the publication is coming out in the later half of this year, I should put the copyright date the following year (2014). What are your thoughts on this?
    Thank you so much!

Joel Friedlander May 16, 2013 at 11:02 am

Your publication is on the dividing line. For a book coming out in November or December, I usually advise people to use a January publication date, since it’s mostly a “convenient fiction” and will keep your book feeling fresh for the entire year. September? I don’t think I would. October is where it gets hard to decide. No matter what you choose to do, remember that children’s picture books are not nearly as subject to being characterized as “old” publications, so it’s not likely to have a big effect on the life of the book.

Glenn March 5, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Hi Joel
    I manage the knowledge base and community for a self publishing company. We often receive requests for copyright templates for which I recommend the author choose a book from their bookshelf and follow the same format.

I would love to reproduce this post in our knowledge base, with proper attribution of course.

Joel Friedlander March 6, 2013 at 10:37 am

Glenn,

Thanks for your comment. I can’t realistically consider your request, since you didn’t provide a link, an email address, the name of your employer, or even your last name. So sorry, no permission will be forthcoming without more information. Lacking that, my standard policy is to allow third parties to quote no more than 10% of the article as long as you provide attribution and a link back to this page.

jimmi Evans November 21, 2012 at 6:35 am

I received a copyright for my book for text only. Now I have included some pictures. Some pictures have a copyright and some are public domain. Should my copyright page indicate “Text copyright” and the date or just say “Copyright”? Do I include the copyright number on my copyright page?
    Thanks for your help.

Joel Friedlander March 6, 2013 at 10:33 am

jimmi, you should make sure you have the reproduction rights to the copyrighted images before you put them in your book. The copyright holders may have specific requirements for how they are credited, and that will influence what you put on your copyright page. Do not include the “copyright number” on the copyright page. Unless there are separate copyrights for the images and text you don’t have to note then separately on the page. Hope that helps.

Cyn September 10, 2012 at 8:42 am

Great site! Thank you so much for the help that you provide. One question: If I’m using a pen name, how should I write my copyright statement. I’d really like to keep my name out of it as I write erotica.

Joel Friedlander September 10, 2012 at 10:44 am

Hi Cyn,

You can show your pen name or publisher name in the copyright statement you print in the book, and show your real name and pen name both on your copyright filing.

Pen Holland September 8, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Greetings Joel, Great information that is so easy to understand. Thanks.

I have further questions about the copyright page and book edition. Is it common to not state that this is a book’s First Edition, but definitely the Second Edition, or Second Printing would be indicated? (My situation is a book I had printed in hardback, limited edition basically as a gift edition. Now I am getting ready for the same book to be made available through CreateSpace. It has its ISBN and LCCN numbers. Do I call this a second printing or second edition? And then I’ll go to the Kindle format. That, I understand, takes a new ISBN number. Would I label it “Kindle Edition?” And what if I create other e-book formats? Are they each a different edition with different ISBNs?

Thanks for your help!

Joel Friedlander September 10, 2012 at 10:48 am

Hi Pen,

Many books lack an edition statement, so it’s up to the publisher (that would be you) to decide whether readers need that information.

In your case I wouldn’t call it a second edition, because that implies that the content has been updated or changed substantially (I would say at least 10%). You could call it the “trade edition” which would cover your needs.

You won’t need an ISBN for the Kindle edition, since Amazon does not require it, but you can assign one for your own record-keeping or in the belief that someday other retailers may be selling Kindle ebooks.

If you create an ePub version for sale on Nook or iBooks, you will need a separate ISBN for that edition.

Hope that helps.

joanne emery August 7, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Hi Joel, Thank you for your response. It really helps a lot.

E.J. August 7, 2012 at 8:54 am

Hi Joel! Really appreciate the work you’re doing over here. Very, very helpful stuff. Silly question: I’m preparing to send my story to a 3rd party formatter to have it prepared for Smashwords, Kindle, etc. They request that all of the front matter, etc. be included in the file as I want it to appear. I’ve applied for a copyright for my work, but as I haven’t uploaded it, I don’t yet have an Amazon #, ISBN, and so forth.

What should I put in the copyright page in such an instance? Should I purchase an ISBN just for this purpose? (The work will only be available digitally for the foreseeable future.) Probably a silly question, but I’m relatively stumped.

Again appreciate all of you help and advice.

joanne emery August 4, 2012 at 8:57 am

Joel, I just created a picture book on one of the book creating sites. This is the first time I have done this. What do I need to know before I send it to be printed by them. I only want to print a few books from them, and try to find a publisher to print a larger quantity of books. Not really sure how to do this and what copyright info I need and what to change when I get it published by a different publisher.

Joel Friedlander August 5, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Joanne, it’s difficult to advise you on this because I don’t have enough information from your comments. If you are printing a few copies for your own use, that’s one thing. If you plan to give them to anyone else, you should have a copyright page or notice in the book and file your registration with the copyright office. If a traditional publisher takes over the book they will take care of the copyright chores. There are a lot of other articles on copyright on the blog, so perhaps they will help.

marty koszegi February 28, 2012 at 6:31 am

Hello Joel. I was hoping to get your take on the strategy involving the profiling of ones publishing company as being larger than it actually is in order to get around the LoC filtering process in hopes of acquiring CIP data (purchasing a 100-block of ISBNs, professional letterhead listing five company officers, seeking immediate CIP data for one particular book, and providing a list of 20 titles that are part of the publishing company’s imminent plans, etc.–a strategy suggested by Fern Reiss’ publications). Does this strategy have any reasonable chance of success today; I noticed that the Fern’s book came out about ten years ago. Anyway, I would greatly appreciate your response. Thank you very much. Marty K.

Joel Friedlander February 28, 2012 at 11:59 am

Marty, I don’t see any reason to jump through all those hoops any longer. CIP has been closed to self-publishers for some time, but that doesn’t mean you can’t put CIP data into your book, you just have to use a vendor instead of the Library of Congress to prepare it, and we’ve been doing this for a long time. You can eliminate all the games by simply paying about $100 to get it done. For more info, see this article:

CIP: What it Means, How to Read It, Who Should Get It

Joel Friedlander February 29, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Marty responded by email (republished here with his permission):

Joel, I really appreciate you taking the time to respond to my question. OK, if I am to get a substitute for LoC CIP data, what is better, PCIP (or some equivalent) or LCCN? Help me out here, again, if you would.

I heard that with LCCN, through the PCN process, one could follow-up the reception of a LCCN by submitting a copy of the published book to the Cataloguing Directorate, and they might be inclined to add the book to the LoC Catalog if it seems appropriate to do so.

Does this information about LCCN seem correct to you—I wouldn’t mind getting on their catalog that way. And if they did actually add such an LCCN-awarded person to their (online) catalog, would such an author be allowed to indicate that literal fact in subsequent publications with some such phrase in the front matter as, “Library of Congress online CIP data” (even though the LoC phrase is usually reserved for books that have LoC-generated full CIP data)? Once again, thanks a heap. Marty K.

Joel Friedlander February 29, 2012 at 12:56 pm

It might work, but it seems like a lot of trouble for little effect. The only buyers who are likely to be influenced in any way by CIP data are librarians. The CIP data block simply saves them the time and effort to catalog the book themselves, that’s all it’s about.

Your book will be in the Library of Congress anyway (and they don’t promote or sell books, it’s a repository) when you submit your copyright registration.

So: if you feel your book would appeal to librarians, get CIP quickly and easily from Quality books or another vendor. If library sales are not part of your marketing strategy, just skip it.

marty koszegi February 29, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Thank you, Joel, but what about that “front matter” issue: once one achieves CIP data in the LOC’s online records, may one indicate such in subsequent publications, as in “Library of Congress online CIP data:”? Thank you. marty

Joel Friedlander February 29, 2012 at 2:15 pm

I don’t see why not.

L Reid January 23, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Hello I had a question about this section of the copyright page “1. The main category of the book —History —Other category. 2. Another subject category —From one perspective. 3. More categories —And their modifiers. I. Johnson, Ben. II. Title.HF0000.A0 A00 2010
    299.000 00–dc22 2010999999″ I was wondering how do you tell what the letters and number combination at the end referenced to.

Joel Friedlander January 25, 2012 at 10:24 am

L, all of that information is part of the CIP block, which most self-publishers don’t need. It’s primarily of interest to librarians. For more info, see this article:

CIP: What it means, how to read it and who should get it

Colin Leslie Beadon January 9, 2012 at 3:37 am

Joel. I’ve written and published short stories for a number of years. In the end, most went into a book again, by Avon Books London. But just as the book came out, Avon Books tanked. My Book, Escapades and Islands has an ISBN, but the book never went out into bookshops.
    Now, with these same stories, I’m going to try again, on Kindle. Can I re -use my original copyright, and still add new unpublished stories beside those that were already published ? I, all through, had copyright.
    Sincerely, Colin L Beadon

Joel Friedlander January 9, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Colin, you have copyright in everything you create, at the moment you create it. When you put your material into a book, you can register the copyright for the entire book with the Library of Congress (U.S.) or your own national registry. If you change the content of the book, you should register a new copyright.

Colin L Beadon January 9, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Joel,
    Thanks for all that.

Simon Dennis October 17, 2011 at 9:08 am

Thanks for this information Joel, I was a bit confused by what content I should include but you have made this really straight forward in your article. Thanks very much!!

Ann August 28, 2011 at 11:41 am

My children’s book was printed by another publisher in 1998. That company has gone out of business and I am bringing it out with both Spanish and English test and one changed illustration. How do I set up the copyright page so that it reflects the new edition. I assume that this is now a 1st edition—-but, is there reference to it being printed previously in English? Of course the ISBN and address will reflect the publishers being changed.

Hans August 26, 2011 at 5:19 am

Thanks, quick clear info, no long talk. Not so easy to find elsewhere.

miriam July 21, 2011 at 2:44 pm

I was wondering with the copyright page if you published a book and just wanted to do a small number like the self publishing sites; can you change publisher with out it affecting your copyrights

thanks

m

Kay May 9, 2011 at 11:06 am

Hi, Joe!

Do I need to give my publishing company a website address? Or are the above examples from commercially published books?

Thanks,
    K

Joel Friedlander May 9, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Hi Kay,

You can include a website address if you like, it’s not mandatory. What’s important is that someone who wants to contact the publisher finds some method to do that, whether it’s web, email, postal.

Camille June 26, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Thank you for this information, Joel. Would it be acceptable to include just a web address? Flipping through books, the only two I have found thus far (in my genre–juvenile fiction) lacking a street address are a hardback copy of ‘Eragon’ by Christopher Paolini (with a website) and a 1990 paperback edition of ‘Maniac Magee’ by Jerry Spinelli (no website, predictably).
    Thanks,
    Camille

Peter Hoare February 16, 2011 at 4:09 am

Dear Joel
    I’m in London, England and just wanted to say how great your site is, such clear and pertinent information. I’m a (mature) student at Uni (again) doing photography and took some bookbinding courses last year, so am making my own books (printing, content, assembly, etc) and will refer to your site for crucial information such as I’ve found already on copyright.
    Many thanks!

Joel Friedlander February 16, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Thanks, Peter. I know several people making books in the way you describe, and they turn out amazing products. Good luck with your project.