Nathan Bransford’s Holiday Giving Intiative

by Joel Friedlander on December 23, 2009 · 36 comments

One of the blogs I follow is from Nathan Bransford, literary agent at the San Francisco office of Curtis Brown Ltd.

Nathan came up with a terrific idea: contribute to Heifer International, a favorite charity, for each comment to his blog. This has resulted, the last time I looked, in over 350 comments. He invited other bloggers to do the same, and I’m happy to help out too.

Here’s what Nathan had to say:

You may have already heard of Heifer International, an organization that works to fight hunger by giving needy families around the world and in the United States livestock, training, or other assistance that helps improve their livelihood. Heifer has been recognized for its work in Fast Company and Forbes, among other places.

I know we’re going through tough economic times, but if you have anything to spare this holiday season I hope you’ll consider making a donation.

My Response

Here’s how it works. Leave a comment here on TheBookDesigner.com with:

1. Your name
  2. Where you are from
  3. Your wishes for 2010

For each comment that’s left, I’ll donate to Heifer International $1.00, with a maximum of $100 total. So go ahead and comment away. I’ll count all comments by unique visitors until December 31, 2009 and then close the comments and send off my check.

Thanks for helping out.

admin December 31, 2009 at 1:23 pm

Julianna, thanks for stopping by. And you’ve made it under the wire, no problem!

Julianna December 31, 2009 at 10:40 am

May 2010 be happier, more peaceful and at least a little more prosperous for us all! Thanks for doing this Joel – I really like Nathan’s idea and hope I’m not too late to participate in your gift-giving!

Julianna in Seattle, WA

admin December 29, 2009 at 11:59 am

Hey, thanks for coming by. I’m reminded of that line in the Woody Allen Movie “Manhattan” when he’s riding in a cab with a girl, up the East Side, a romantic moment, nighttime, twinkling lights, the bridges over the East River, and he says something to the effect that “You’re so beautiful I can barely keep my eyes on the meter.”

Renee, enjoy your blog. Ruth, Dorothy, thanks for stopping in, I like the idea of “making that cow thing a tradition,” that’s priceless.

Dorothy Abrams December 29, 2009 at 11:34 am

from Clyde NY–this is a great idea. I’ll include it in my blogs next year. My wish for the coming year is (in the words of my granddaughter) to “make that cow thing a tradition.” We all donated to Heifer on Christmas Day.

Dorothy Abrams December 29, 2009 at 11:20 am

I supported Heifer this year by convincing my family to take their gift money for the adults and pool it for a Heifer contribution. We had enough for a water buffalo, 2 goats and a flock of chicks. One of the kids said “We should do that cow thing every year, make it a tradition.” And so we shall!

Ruth December 28, 2009 at 9:27 pm

Hi. I’m Ruth from Hershey, PA.
    I hope this year Heifer International and all those great charities out there find a way to __________.

Renee Sweet December 28, 2009 at 4:52 pm

Thanks for doing this!
    — Renee Sweet in Connecticut, wishing for more reading time in 2010

admin December 28, 2009 at 4:12 pm

Mira and Kerri, thanks for stopping by. And there’s still plenty of spaces left if anyone wants to bump up my contribution before the bell strikes midnight on the 31st!

Kerri Reiner December 28, 2009 at 3:52 pm

Ah, that Mira has beat me every time! That’s okay, though. I’m really not a competitive person. Besides, it’s for a good cause!
    Charity!

Well, I wish the best for the entire freakin’ world in 2010 – Lord knows most of us could use as many prayers and good wishes as possible.

And Kudos to those who donate their hard-earned money…..

Mira December 28, 2009 at 2:18 pm

Joel – awesome of you – thanks!

I’m Mira from the Bay Area, California.

I hope everyone has a truly wonderful year in 2010

admin December 26, 2009 at 10:57 pm

It’s just a pleasure to meet you all.

Linda Godfrey December 26, 2009 at 4:43 pm

Linda Godfrey from seriously wintered SE Wisconsin
    I wish help and love to everyone who needs it this Christmas season, and also a book in every stocking – even those stockings already occupied by feet. And Joel, thanks for also commenting at my blog for same great purpose!

Phoebe Kitanidis December 26, 2009 at 1:35 pm

Hi Joel! I’m in Seattle, and my wish for 2010 is for all Americans to have quality affordable health care.

admin December 26, 2009 at 1:05 pm

Hey, Happy Holidays everybody. Thanks to all for coming by and helping out with Nathan’s fundraiser, this has been terrific. I’ve commented on Tracy’s blog and Robin’s blog (hey, Robin, just made a batch of pistachio and cherry biscotti (for xmas) do you have a favorite recipe?) and thanks also to Namrata, Maven, Julia, Mary Jo, Cindy and Anica!

Maven Koesler December 25, 2009 at 10:49 am

Maven
    from North Central Texas
    I hope you exceed your goal for HI

Julia December 25, 2009 at 7:47 am

I’m Julia, from Ho Chi Minh, Viet Nam. My wish is that wonderful people like you can raise enough money so that organizations like Heifer become (meaning that their assistance is no longer needed).

Anica Lewis December 24, 2009 at 12:48 pm

Thanks for doing this!

Anica Lewis
    Farmville, Virginia
    Peace and prosperity for the world, and a book deal for me!

Cindy December 24, 2009 at 12:36 pm

Thank you for doing this!

Mary Jo December 24, 2009 at 11:30 am

THanks for your generosity and have a wonderful holiday!!!

Tracy December 24, 2009 at 10:10 am

Tracy from northern California here. I’m in on the fun, too. Come bump up my pledge by commenting on my new blog – So Many Dreams at

tkastle.blogspot.com

My pledge window is open until Dec. 31. Let’s help Heifer in their goal to end world hunger.

Robin Mullet December 24, 2009 at 6:50 am

Joel,
    Thanks for your part in Nathan’s challenge. I’m did it too! I’m donating a beehive (my husband’s a beekeeper) and it was fun to see how many folks knew beekeepers! Have a great new year!
    P.S. I love biscotti!

Namrata December 24, 2009 at 2:56 am

I appreciate this. It’s a great job!

Jacqui December 23, 2009 at 11:31 pm

Utah

Peace in my family and among all people…and to finish my novel, of course.

Merry Christmas and thank kyou!

admin December 23, 2009 at 10:55 pm

Okay! Kathryn, Leanne, Meghan, Susan, I’ve commented on all your blogs, thanks for coming by!, and also Victoria, Wendy and Jennifer too.

I hope you all have a lovely holiday season. Come back soon!

Meghan Ward December 23, 2009 at 9:58 pm

Meghan Ward
    Berkeley, CA
    I wish that all my writer friends get published in 2010!

Leanne December 23, 2009 at 9:41 pm

Hi Joel,

Glad to have found you via the challenge. I’m participating, too, so feel free to stop by and hold me accountable here in Denver.

I’m wishing us all a productive and lucrative 2010… and that the spread of info from the varied corners of the publishing world continues unabated!

Best,
    Leanne

Victoria December 23, 2009 at 8:20 pm

Victoria
    Kansas
    That a lot of people will be helped by all of these generous donations.

Kathryn Jankowski December 23, 2009 at 6:18 pm

Glad to see you’re helping. I’m pledging, too, so please stop by and comment at http://kjankowski.blogspot.com before midnight Christmas. Thanks.

Wish: good health to all!

Madeleine December 23, 2009 at 6:18 pm

Ditto what Jennifer Hubbard said (other than the location)!

Happy Holidays!

Jennifer Hubbard December 23, 2009 at 6:10 pm

from Pennsylvania.

Peace and happiness in 2010!

wendy December 23, 2009 at 6:00 pm

Hello, Joel,
    Great site…very interesting subject matter. I’ll be back to check it out more.
    Thanks for participating in this great cause.

Have a Merry Christmas

Wendy from Aus whose wish is to help other’s wishes to come true.

Susan Quinn December 23, 2009 at 5:44 pm

Susan Quinn
    Greater Chicagoland Area

I’m also helping Nathan with his drive, over on my blog Ink Spells.

My wish is to always keep in mind the many, many blessings I have in my life.

admin December 23, 2009 at 5:28 pm

Thanks @Mags, thanks @Nathan, I feel like I’m watching the taxi meter ticking!

Nathan Bransford December 23, 2009 at 5:21 pm

Thanks so much for participating!!!

Nathan Bransford
    San Francisco, CA
    My wish is for peace, happiness, and safety for all.

Mags December 23, 2009 at 5:19 pm

Hi Joel,

I’m Mags. It’s nice to meet you!

This is a comment.