Self-Publishing Basics: The Copyright Page

by Joel Friedlander on October 28, 2009 · 209 comments

Post image for Self-Publishing Basics: The Copyright Page

In an earlier post on how to make a book, I explained the role of the copyright page:

Copyright page—Usually the verso of the title page, this page carries the copyright notice, edition information, publication information, printing history, cataloging data, legal notices, and the books ISBN or identification number. In addition, rows of numbers are sometimes printed at the bottom of the page to indicate the year and number of the printing. Credits for design, production, editing and illustration are also commonly listed on the copyright page.

Now I’d like to look at the all-important copyright page in a little more detail. This page and its contents are the way your book is represented to librarians, bibliographers, other publishers, quantity sales buyers, writers wishing to use quotations from your book, and production planners of future editions.

What Has to be on Your Copyright Page No Matter What

The single most important element on the copyright page is, no surprise, the copyright notice itself. It usually consists of three elements:

1. the © symbol, or the word “Copyright” or abbreviation “Copr.”
  2. the year of first publication of the work; and
  3. an identification of the owner of the copyright—by name, abbreviation, or some other way that it’s generally known.

Together, it should look like this:

© 2009 Joel Friedlander

At one time you actually had to print the copyright notice in an acceptable form to receive copyright protection in the U.S. but this is no longer the case.

Because the © symbol isn’t available on typewriters or computer terminals with only lower-ASCII character sets, the copyright symbol is often approximated with the characters (c). Unfortunately, this form of notice may not stand up in court.

What Else You’ll Find on the Copyright Page

Many of these items may not be applicable to your book, but this is where the publisher has to fit all the legal notices and other information for use by the book trade. Keep in mind that a reservation of rights is vital, and the publisher’s contact information is practical and appropriate. So here’s the rundown of other elements on the copyright page:

ul>

• Your reservation of rights, where you outline what rights you reserve and which you allow. Usually a nod is made to fair use, which can hardly be prevented in any event. Because further permissions will involve the publisher’s approval, you will also find here…
  • <li>The <strong>publisher's editorial address</strong>. Larger publishers will likely include...</li><br>

<li><strong>Ordering information</strong> including quantity sales, individual sales, college texbooks or course adoption requests and orders by trade bookstores or wholesalers. In each case specific contact information may be included.</li><br>

<li>Any <strong>trademark notices</strong> the publisher may hold to names and logos of the publishing company or its imprint,</li><br>

<li>A statement regarding the <strong>environmental friendliness</strong> of the products and processes used to produce the book, like a notice that it is printed on recycled paper or with non-toxic soy inks.</li><br>

<li><strong>Cataloging-in-Publication Data</strong>, either from the Library of Congress for participating publishers, or from another source such as Quality Books, a distributor who will provide this data block for a fee. This is primarily of interest to library sales.</li><br>

<li> An <strong>edition</strong> of the book. For instance, a second edition might or might not be noted on the title page, but will certainly be indicated on the copyright page.</li><br>

<li><strong>Printings and years</strong> indicators. These are the odd strings of "funny numbers" often seen near the bottom of the copyright page. Typically at the left margin will be years, and on the right a series of numbers to indicate printings. Next year, if a new printing is needed, the plates for the book do not need to be remade. The pressman simply erases one digit off each series of numbers, effectively updating the notice. This is for the use of the publisher's production department, and is likely to become an artifact as digital printing takes a larger share of the publishing pie.</li><br>

<li>Lastly, some enlightened publishers use the copyright page to <strong>credit</strong> the contributors to the book including designers, production managers, proofreaders, indexers, and editors.</li>

Think of the copyright page as the place where the publisher tries to get all its work done, take care of legal and bibliographic necessities, before getting out of the way of the author.

When you come to creating your own copyright page, pick the elements that seem most suitable to your book. Keep the whole thing as unobtrusive as possible and you can’t go wrong.

copyright for self-publishersWant to know more about copyright? Need some sample copyright pages to drop into your book? Confused about the things you read online about copyright? Check out this 30-page easy-to-read guide. Click The Self-Publisher’s Quick & Easy Guide to Copyright for more info, or Buy Now as PDF or Kindle.

Carlen Maddux March 18, 2015 at 10:26 am

What’s the purpose of the CIP? I see some books with it and others without. Do I need a CIP? Thanks

Joel Friedlander March 18, 2015 at 11:59 am

Carlen, you’re in luck. I’ve written an article about CIP that answers your questions, and you can find it here:

CIP: What It Means, How to Read It, Who Should Get It

Make sure you check out the comments, there are a number of helpful links there too.

Carlen Maddux March 18, 2015 at 10:24 am

What’s the purpose of the CIP? I see some books with this data block and others without it. Do I need a CIP?

Dude March 3, 2015 at 6:29 pm

Hello – There is a book about our family that was written in German and published in Germany in 2013. One of the two authors copyrighted it in her name. We have gotten it translated into English and will take it to a printer who will do a small run, for family and friends. The German author who has the original copyright also formatted our English translation, which was a good deal of work. My question is who should copyright the English version – the German author, me, me and my 2 sisters? We don’t plan on selling the book anywhere. If someone in the family wants to reprint it in, say, 20 years, it would be unlikely that they could find that German author to ask permission. Do you have any guidance for me? Thank you!

Roger March 3, 2015 at 7:08 pm

The way I see it the book is still under copyright by the author both German and English versions. You should have legal permission from the author to print it.

Dude March 3, 2015 at 7:17 pm

Thanks. But from what I’ve read online, a translation is a whole ‘nother book. I’ve looked at a couple of translated books and they have a separate person copyrighting the translation. Any other takes on this?

Joel Friedlander March 4, 2015 at 10:43 am

Dude, U.S. copyright laws have nothing to do with German copyright law, of which I am uninformed. The law is too complex to address this issue in a blog comment, and I’m not a lawyer so cannot offer you legal advice. Ff you have concerns I advise you to consult with an intellectual property lawyer to clarify the situation. Having said that, it seems to me that if you do not offer the book for sale, it’s unlikely you will run into any trouble.

Dude March 4, 2015 at 3:00 pm

Thank you. I put a call in to a lawyer today.

LJ Zinkand March 3, 2015 at 10:13 am

Hi Joel,
      I am a graphic designer who is updating a book for a client. The first printing of the book was done by the original author. She passed away, and the business was inherited by the new owner, who copyrighted the second-fifth printings of the book. My question is, do we need to still include the © and name for the original, deceased author?
      Thanks!

Shean February 24, 2015 at 11:24 am

Hi Joel,

I am releasing my first book in August through WordFire Press. They want to know what name to put on the copyright. My husband and I own an Incorporated biz. that I use to pay for all of my book expenses. I was planning on having the royalties be paid to this corporation and pay myself through that payroll (paying taxes legally etc.) – Is there some reason I should just have my own name on the book for copyright instead of using the corporation? Does it mean that the corporation ‘owns’ the book – and if so – what does THAT mean exactly? There is only my husband and myself in the corporation. – Thanks!

Scott February 23, 2015 at 4:15 am

Joel,
      I have just finished the final edits of my novel. The changes are basic mechanics and some content. It’s copyright was originally registered back in 2004. I would like to re-register the copyright now to make sure it is all up to date. On my copyright page, would I need to put 2004 and 2015 or just 2015? It will be registered with the Copyright Office under both years but do I need to include both? Thanks.

Joel Friedlander February 23, 2015 at 11:06 am

Scott, you don’t say whether the book was published in 2004 but it sounds like it wasn’t. You wouldn’t be in this situation if you followed the standard practice of only registering your copyright upon publication, but that’s water under the bridge. Yes, you should list both dates on your copyright page, since both records will exist in the copyright office.

Amy C February 20, 2015 at 5:47 am

Hello,

Thank you so much for making this information about copyrighting so easily accessible, it is incredibly helpful. There’s just one thing I want to make sure I’m clear on. I have submitted my book for copyright with the US government, so technically my book is copyright pending?

My question is, do I still put © 2015 My Name on the copyright page, or do I need to put Copyright Pending instead? (And if the latter, do I then change it when my book is officially copyrighted?)

Thank you!

Sheogorath February 20, 2015 at 10:41 am

Amy C said: I have submitted my book for copyright with the US government, so technically my book is copyright pending?
      No, the only IP that can be announced as pending is patents. Luckily, however, your book was automatically copyrighted from the moment you completed your first full sentence under US law. The registration is only necessary to claim statutory damages and attorney’s fees should you need to sue an infringer (although a Cease and Desist letter is the best first move).

Amy C February 27, 2015 at 12:05 am

Okay, thank you for this clarification. On the copyright page then, should I just put Copyright 2015?

Heather February 5, 2015 at 11:02 pm

Hi! Would it be acceptable to put the copyright page on the last page of a children’s book if needed? I have a client who didn’t account for it and the illustrations can’t be shifted by one page to allow for it due to certain spreads. Or would it be more appropriate to try to create another page in the front to balance the spreads back out if at all possible?

Sheogorath February 6, 2015 at 12:35 am

Copyright info goes in the front because that’s where everybody expects to find it, but you could create a blank page in the back of the book to balance out the spreads within it. That’s the best advice I can give you.

Joel Friedlander February 6, 2015 at 12:01 pm

Heather, although the practice of putting the copyright page following the title page is a longstanding tradition, that’s all it is, not a rule. So there’s no reason you can’t move it to the back of your book if you like and if that works better for you.

Heather February 6, 2015 at 9:36 pm

Ok, great! Thank you so much! I’m trying to talk him into adding a dedication page so I can keep it on the back of the title page since I do prefer it there, but it’s nice to know that I can put it in the back if needed.

Sheogorath February 5, 2015 at 10:10 am

If you’re in the US, then releasing a work under a made up name will shorten the term of copyright depending on your age at the time. However, if you use a nickname as a pseudonym, then you get the full term of life + 70. See the following link for full details: http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl101.html

Simon Hartwell February 5, 2015 at 4:22 am

Apologies, I see my questions has been asked and answered already :)
      many thanks for taking the time to share your wealth of information. An invaluable service.
      many thanks
      regards
      Simon

Simon Hartwell February 5, 2015 at 3:32 am

Good Morning Joel
      this might a tricky one. I am releasing a book under a penname.

When adding the copyright phrase, can I use that (as it is a made up name) or should I use my own?

Simon

Olga February 3, 2015 at 3:06 am

Hello everyone, very interesting discussion, thank you.

Regarding the copyright page for a self-published author, what contact details best to leave? Not about to publish my home address, don’t want the hassle of a PO BOX, so would a designated email address suffice?

I will be publishing with Amazon KDP and Creating Space – but this won’t make them my publishers, right?

What would you do?

Much appreciated,

Olga

Sheogorath February 3, 2015 at 5:53 am

You can absolutely use a dedicated email address, just be prepared for a full spam filter. As for your other question, since using Amazon KDP and CreateSpace (print on demand) as platforms counts as self-publishing, this makes you the publisher, not the companies.

Olga February 3, 2015 at 7:13 am

Ahhh, yes – the spam filter. Anyway, during my coffee break I sort of realised that the best things to do would be invent my own publishing company, and basically use it as a front. Now I need to think of a name, and whether to use a designated email or real-deal, safe address.

Many thanks for your input,

O.

Sheogorath February 3, 2015 at 2:00 pm

You’re welcome, Olga.

Marisa February 2, 2015 at 10:58 am

What if the pressman is a presslady? I believe that “press-person” is a more correct and ethical term to use, unless we are specifically referring to a pressman that is a male. :)

Robert January 30, 2015 at 12:21 pm

I am self-publishing an Ebook on Amazon utilizing a pen name. If I simply leave a copyright statement as provided in this article with my pen name, will that be enough? Or do I need to include my actual name as well?

I’m using a pen name because I don’t want people looking me on Facebook.

Sheogorath January 30, 2015 at 1:38 pm

Absolutely. However, depending on the laws in your country, the length of protection could be less on the grounds of the book being a pseudonymous work.

Robert January 30, 2015 at 3:04 pm

Perhaps if I leave my email address after the copyright, that will help to negate any “false identities” as I can still be easily contacted. Especially since Amazon is capable of pulling my actual identity.

Thank you.

Sheogorath January 31, 2015 at 1:10 am

Putting your email addy on public view is never a good idea unless you want to get spammed and phished. Plus, it would do nothing to negate any false identities since it’s a pseudonym you plan to use, not an alias. Simples!

Ivy January 25, 2015 at 4:03 pm

I’m publishing a book of short stories by 5 authors. Do I need to copyright their work (vs just mine), and do people need to ask their permission as well to reproduce their work?

Sheogorath January 26, 2015 at 4:11 am

As the publisher you would copyright the whole book as a compilation. This cost $35 the last I heard.

Ivy January 26, 2015 at 7:38 am

So if someone wants to reproduce one of the stories, they would ask me. Then I would ask the author?

Sheogorath January 26, 2015 at 12:30 pm

Pretty much, yeah.

Ivy January 26, 2015 at 4:05 pm

Thank you so much for clarifying the protocol!

Sheogorath January 26, 2015 at 5:19 pm

You’re very welcome, Ivy.

Sonia January 16, 2015 at 10:19 am

Hi!
      I’m thirteen years old, and this will be my first time publishing a book using Createspace(c) through Amazon. I’m a little confused. Do I need to make a page for my book with an ISBN/copyright, or do they do it for me? And why do I have two ISBN’s?
      Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
      Thanks!

Sonia

Joel Friedlander January 16, 2015 at 10:41 am

Hi Sonia. Yes, you should create a copyright page for your book. It’s usually the back of the title page and, unless you’ve contracted with CreateSpace to create the interior of your book, they probably won’t do it for you. If you’re only producing a paperback at CreateSpace, you only need 1 ISBN. Good luck!

Will January 14, 2015 at 5:24 am

Hi,

I’m looking to set up as a small publisher to publish a series of fantasy novels, which I will run through my existing ltd. company.

The ltd. company has a very boring engineering name, engineering is my main work (so can’t change it). So, I will be releasing the books under a trading name, which is a little more appropriate to the style of book I will be selling and I know that I am allowed to do this.

My question is when I put my copyright notice can I use:

(c) 2015 Fantasy Publisher Trading Name,

or legally will I have to use:

(c) 2015 Very Boring Engineering Company Name .ltd?

Not a huge thing I know, its just I think it will look a bit odd having the engineering name in there.

All help appreciated!

Kind regards

Will

Joel Friedlander January 14, 2015 at 11:55 am

Will, in the book you can certainly use “Fantasy Publisher” on the copyright page, although you might want to note somewhere else on the page that “Fantasy Publisher” is an imprint/division/subsidiary of “VB Engineering.”

Will January 14, 2015 at 12:54 pm

That’s great, thanks for the quick reply Joel!

Carlyn Cade December 31, 2014 at 4:47 pm

Hi Joel, I have purchased a doll who was born in “1963.” I would like to use her as a model in a book I’m writing. She would be on almost every page with a brand new wardrobe. Could you please tell me how the copyright law would apply to this? Since she is 51 years old, is she still copyrighted? The company is still in business, but I understand there are new owners. How do I find out who owns the copyright, if there is one?

Joel Friedlander January 2, 2015 at 12:55 pm

Carlyn, a book copyrighted in 1963 would still be protected today. However, you’d probably be better off leaving your question on this post: http://www.thebookdesigner.com/2014/11/trademark-lets-meet-copyrights-half-sister/

Sheogorath January 23, 2015 at 9:16 pm

Carlyn, there is probably no copyright on the doll since the only possible type for such an object is design copyright of twenty years duration. I would double check this fact with the USCPO or a copyright lawyer, however.

Sheogorath January 23, 2015 at 9:18 pm

USCPO should read USCO. Sorry.

Carlyn Cade January 26, 2015 at 3:40 pm

To: Sheogorath

Thank you so very much for your answer about my doll’s copyright.

I sure appreciate it.

Sheogorath January 26, 2015 at 5:18 pm

You’re very welcome, Carlyn.

Jessica December 16, 2014 at 11:32 am

Hi Joel,
      My boyfriend had his book published by an online publishing company. He couldn’t afford an editor and so after its already been printed he wanted to go back and make a lot of changes that he found. The book has only sold about 400 copies in the last two years and hes almost done with a sequel. He would like to get a revised version out when he is able to publish the sequel/ What kind of process would he have to go through to be able to revise and then reprint the original book? I imagine that the lack of sales wouldn’t make it too difficult, I thought of it like when a movie is made about a popular book and they decide to reprint it with a new cover. Any information would be helpful, thanks.

Frances December 8, 2014 at 9:42 am

Joel, I’ve been told by Ingram Spark that I have to remove the country of printing (Printed in the U.S.A) from the back cover and copyright page because with POD the book may be printed in the UK or Australia. Ingram includes the country on the last page of the book with their barcode. How do I handle this in my book? I’ve always done offset printing in the past and the country of printing was required on the copyright page and also on the back cover if the publisher’s city and state are there. On the copyright page, can I add something like: This book is available through print on demand, and may be printed in the U.S.A., United Kingdom, or Australia, depending on where the order originates?

Joel Friedlander December 8, 2014 at 10:49 am

Frances, yes the world of POD is vastly different in some respects from when we were printing all our books offset. I think your solution is a good one.

Julie December 1, 2014 at 1:01 pm

Hi Joel,
      I just received permission from Harper Collins to use an excerpt of theirs for my novel. They are stating in the agreement that “The copyright and credit notice is to be printed…” on my copyright page. What exactly are they stating? What would it look like? and Where should it go on the copyright page?

Barbara October 29, 2014 at 9:51 pm

Hi Joel,

I have learned so much from your site. This is my first book and your site has helped me so much.

I am working on my copyright page and I am confused about the year. Although I finished writing the book in recently. It will most likely not be available or published until 2015. choose my year be 2014 or 2015.

Joel Friedlander October 30, 2014 at 12:02 pm

Hi Barbara,

You’ll want the copyright date to be 2015, for two reasons. First, because the book will be published in 2015 and, second, because if you use the 2014 date, it will appear “old” on January 1, 2015.

shiv October 26, 2014 at 11:40 am

Sir,
      I am reprinting an very old indian historic book, and want to publish the same on my name and copywrite it. The book is with the family of the legend who composed the book. Plz suggest how to go about it.

Sunil October 26, 2014 at 8:55 pm

Interesting…
      I also like to know its answer

Joel Friedlander October 30, 2014 at 12:00 pm

Your question is not specific enough for a definitive answer. How old? In what country was it originally published? If you think it’s in the public domain, and you can publish it, why would you try to copyright it in your own name, since you are not the creator?

Paul T. Goldman October 20, 2014 at 11:17 am

Hi,

I copyrighted my book in 2009. Now, I am changing the title. Everything else is the same. Do I have to re-copyright with the government?

Please advise,

Paul

Sunil MV October 7, 2014 at 5:19 am

Dear Sir,

Is the Publisher’s full address is a must in Copy right page?
      What is the4 legal position in it.

Advanced Thanks

Joel Friedlander October 7, 2014 at 3:42 pm

There is no “legal” position, but this is where people will look when they want to contact the author or the publisher.

Sue September 30, 2014 at 7:29 am

Hi Joel,

Are you familiar with Five Rainbows? Are they legit? I sent an email inquiry and never received a response. I telephoned (and it wasn’t easy locating their number), but they just hung up on me when I said I needed help with the check out process.

Thank you for your help!
      Sue

Casper September 22, 2014 at 8:20 pm

Hi Joel,

I m a graphic designer and as apart of my degree I made a recipe book. I however went the extra length and made up the recipes, baked and took photos of everything. I got 50 printed for family and friends but now I want to look at getting it published correctly. So many websites are telling me I need to do different things. I understand I need to get an ISBN to sell it but seeing as this is the second edition I need to up that but I’m not sure about the copyright stuff and who I need to see or apply to that for. Can you help me?
      Cass

Joel Friedlander September 23, 2014 at 12:02 pm

Casper, see this article: How to Copyright Your Book

Maria September 22, 2014 at 6:13 am

Please how are if I am not the author.
      But a written permission is granted. Where do I place it. And how do I mention the authors name in the book and lastly there is aanother contributing author who helped in the translation of a page and I was told to mention her. Where do I place her. Thank you.

Roger September 22, 2014 at 6:43 am

Hi Maria,

You are saying you have a book that was written by someone else. You have permission to print it. This makes you the publisher?

Then the author name should be on the cover, title page, copyright page etc. It appears to me the author owns the copyright of the book, you being the publisher only?

Carey Conley September 9, 2014 at 8:11 pm

If I am both author and publisher, which owns the copyright for my book? Should my copyright read;

(c) 2014 Carey Conley, or:
      (c) 2014 WriteSpeak Media & Publishing LLC?

Sheogorath January 23, 2015 at 9:46 pm

Carey: from what I’ve seen, you would copyright as the author. Copyrights under corporate names are either as the publisher only or where the book was created as a work for hire/during the course of employment. Even the Nancy Drew books were copyrighted under the name of Carolyn Keene, the pseudonym of the various authors that wrote the books for the publishing company.

VM Gautier August 11, 2014 at 8:11 am

Help! I don’t see this particular question. I’m publishing my new book under a pseudonym. Copyright already taken care of. I realize that if I want to do direct with DRM for Kobo and I-Tunes, I’ll need to get my own ISBNs. If I purchase under my real name are they traceable to me? I mean Kobo and Itunes have my real name, but I don’t want sellers to. Am I worried about nothing?

Joel Friedlander August 11, 2014 at 10:03 am

VM, best strategy is to purchase your ISBNs under the name of your publishing company or imprint.

Roger July 25, 2014 at 10:20 pm

Hello Sydney,
      You should have some sort of contact address, home address, PO Box, E-mail? In my books I use a web site address as I sell online. So if someone sees my book and wants to buy one they can go direct to the web page. I don’t know why someone will contact you for permission, to do what?

I have heard you don’t need an ISBN for a kindle book, some say its a good idea to use one though. Your ISBN for kindle and print book cannot be the same, each one has its own ISBN.

Sydney July 25, 2014 at 9:53 pm

Hi,

Is it a good idea to put a PO BOX as the publisher’s address? If not, how will someone contact you for permissions?
      Also, if after publishing the book I get kindle edition, I don’t need the Kindle ISBN on the copyright of printed book, right?

thanks for the help!

Kevin July 25, 2014 at 11:02 am

Joel,

Thank you so much for everything. I’ll send you a copy.

Kevin July 24, 2014 at 9:45 pm

Hey Joel,

You have been extremely helpful throughout this process more than you know. I decided to put it on the copyright page.

Do you think this is good??

Photo Credit:
      1 “Majesty of Egypt” (cc) 2013 is copyright by flickr.com member Christopher Michel and made available under the Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic (CC BY 2.0)
      2 “Tour Effiel Panoramic Shot” (cc) 2006 is copyright by flickr.com member Richie Diesterheft and made available under the Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic (CC BY 2.0)
      3 “Panama City from the Sky” (cc) 2005 is copyright by flickr.com member “dsasso” and made available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic (CC BY-SA 2.0)
      4 “China-6417- A Branch in the Great Wall” (cc) 2006 is copyright by flickr.com member Dennis Jarvis and made available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic (CC BY-SA 2.0)
      5 “Le Meridien Bungalos (Motu Tape – Bora Bora)” (cc) 2007 is copyright by flickr.com member Sergio Calleja and made available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic (CC BY-SA 2.0)

Joel Friedlander July 25, 2014 at 10:22 am

Looks good to me, good luck with the book.

Kevin July 24, 2014 at 5:21 pm

Thanks Roger for you responding….

Joel, thank you for your fast response. I guess I’m just having trouble figuring out where in my book to put the link back to each image. All the images (a total of 5) are on the same page. I used them for a sample vision board. I want it to look as professional as possible.

Joel Friedlander July 24, 2014 at 5:43 pm

Kevin, you can put them on the page with the photos, on the copyright page, or on a “credits” page you can add to the back matter of your book.

Roger July 24, 2014 at 3:14 pm

If the photos are still under copyright you will need written permisson from the owner. The owner of the image is the person who took the photo.
      If you have many photographs you could make a page at the back of the book. Listing page numbers and names. One of the best ways is just at the bottom of each image in brackets eg. [Mr. John W Reed]

Kevin July 24, 2014 at 1:06 pm

Joel,

Thank you for all of your articles. They have made this self publishing venture a lot easier.

I have a question. I have created a goal setting workbook in which I have included a few images that I got from flickr.com under the creative commons licensing rule. In order to comply with the terms I must give appropriate credit to the photographers. How do I do that, do you have any sample, and should I add that to the copyright page?

Kevin

Joel Friedlander July 24, 2014 at 4:59 pm

Kevin, if you go to the individual pages for the photos you’re using, click through to the Creative Commons license and it will indicate the kind of attribution that’s requested. Usually it’s a link back to the original photo on Flickr.

Roger July 19, 2014 at 3:34 am

Well there are two ways to publish, go to a publishing company or do it yourself? Are you expecting to make money from your book?

Try some publishing companies, see if they are interested?

Otherwise you can do it youself. Softcover or hardcover, what size? You will need to format and have it print ready. Then go to a book printer, print run, 500, 1,000? Then see if the bookstores will sell it.

Sean Motis July 19, 2014 at 3:39 am

Thank you. I was mainly just looking to get 20 copies made for friends of mine.

Roger July 19, 2014 at 3:48 am

Ok, only 20 copies, its easy enough, just go to those POD web sites, they can be setup and small numbers printed.

Sean Motis July 19, 2014 at 3:49 am

Thanks!

Sean Motis July 18, 2014 at 11:53 pm

How would I go about getting my book published without too much hassle? I am currently working on finishing a poetry book I have been working on the past 4 years and would like to have it published.

Richard June 29, 2014 at 4:43 pm

Joel, I am going to POD from a previously published book and am not sure how to indicate this on the ISBN page. It will be the first reprint and I don’t want to change the information every time. Is there a generic form to use? I was thinking “Subsequent reprints begin 2014″ but don’t feel that will be adequate in a few years. Thanks for your help.

Roger June 29, 2014 at 6:01 pm

Hi Richard,

From what I have seen around, here are my thoughts. You will republish a book, which means a new copyright page and ISBN or are you just going to reprint of your book, with no changes? I have republished a couple of books. If you are changing details, design, text, images etc from the original maybe then its a new book. If you are just doing a reprint only, it seems nowadays nobody worries about adding the new year each time. Eg. “Published 2012″ “Reprinted 2014″, “Reprinted 2015″.

Maybe Joel has different thoughts on this?