It’s been said lots of times: bookstores may be the worst place for a self-publisher to sell books.
In this video I explain why, including:
- The three key elements that have to line up for you to be successful in bookstore distribution.
- Why print on demand books don’t work for bookstore distribution
- The reason you’ll need to spend thousands of dollars up front and at risk to pursue this distribution channel
- The many players you’ll require to get your book the attention it will need
- How to “work the numbers” to see if your book will succeed in distribution
If you’ve ever thought of selling your books in lots of bookstores, take a few minutes to watch this 8:52 whiteboard video and let me know what you think.
Here’s an audio version if your prefer to listen, but then you’ll miss out on all my whiteboard drawing:
Is this the right path for you and your books? Or do you see this in your future in publishing?
Photo by Aaron Gustafson