Last week I had a chance to sit down with John Kremer and have a chat about book marketing.
I don’t think John needs much of an introduction, but for those new to the indie publishing scene, you really ought to get to know him and what he has to offer indie authors.
John is the owner of Open Horizons publishing in New Mexico and his website, www.bookmarket.com is the largest collection of marketing advice for indie authors anywhere online.
John is the author of several books including the classic 1001 Ways to Market Your Book, and he runs The Book Marketing Network, a social media site with a membership of over 7,000 authors, self-publishers and others involved in writing, producing and marketing books.
I was curious to see what John thinks are the best practices for authors who are marketing today, and he really delivered. This video is full of actionable advice, tips and ideas from a man who has been studying and practicing book marketing for over 25 years.
Here’s the interview, which runs 43:56. (If you don’t see the video, please refresh your screen.)
MP3 Audio only version:
Download MP3 file: (Right click this link and “Save as…”)
John Kremer Interview-Audio
Discussed in this video:
John’s three top tips:
- Build relationships with bloggers
- Blog tours with big blogs to be effective
- Social sites where readers congregate
- What killed the Amazon Bestseller campaigns
- The role of social media in book marketing
- John’s three favorite social networking sites and why
- How to connect with thought leaders on social media
- Automating your marketing efforts
- How John uses Twitter lists
- Why John doesn’t check his Twitter DMs
- How blogs help authors market
- What to do about ebooks
- A quick way to raise your book’s ranking in the Kindle store
- The problem with book trailers
- The power of women in book marketing
I’m on a serious deadline, so no blog post tomorrow. You might want to watch the first half of this video today, since it runs almost 44 minutes, and come back for the second half tomorrow. Just saying.