The Self-Publishing Blueprint Video

by Joel Friedlander on June 11, 2012 · 10 comments

Post image for The Self-Publishing Blueprint Video

From the hundreds—maybe thousands—of questions that have been asked about self-publishing on the blog, or in conversations with authors over the years, I’ve learned many things. One of the biggest: having some idea of where you’re going helps a lot.

That’s how you know whether you’re on the right path, whether you’re doing the things that will get you to your eventual goal, no matter how far off it seems at the time.

That’s one of the reasons I’ve been looking forward to this third and last video in my free training series. It’s called The Self-Publishing Blueprint, and you can check it out here:

The Self-Publishing Blueprint

In the video I use a mind map to break the somewhat complex process of getting a book into print into 5 basic areas. This seems to really help people understand the different kinds of things you have to do along the way.

1. Preparing to publish—getting your publishing company together, figuring out who you’re publishing for, what your assets are, and other infrastructure work.
  2. Getting your manuscript ready—making your way through the editorial process, getting peer review and prepping your manuscript.
  3. Creating books and ebooks—strategies, layout options, and creating final files.
  4. Finding distribution channels—print, ebooks, print on demand and non-traditional channels.
  5. Launching and marketing your book—author platform, book launches and tours, review programs and more.

Taken together, it’s a quick overview of the process we go through on each book.

I have to admit it’s been a lot of fun—and a lot of work—putting these videos together, and I’ve learned a lot. Like just the other day I discovered this button on my camcorder called “white balance.” Wow, that really makes them look better!

Anyway, go over and check this video out. Here’s the link again.

The Self-Publishing Blueprint

And if you have questions about self-publishing, leave them in the comments. In a couple of days I’m going to record a Q&A video to answer the best questions, and that could be a great opportunity for you.

Oh, and by the way, here are links to the first two videos in case you missed them. There were a ton of comments and it seems that they really struck a chord with a lot of writers.

8 Keys to Self-Publishing Success Today

Self-Publishing Mistakes, Screw-ups and Disasters

If you watch them, let me know what you think, I’d love to get your opinion.

Sarah Elisabeth July 6, 2012 at 11:34 am

Hey Joel,

I finally have time to watch this video and take notes, but the link just takes me to sign up to be notified of when the course is released. I’m signed up for that list, but can’t see the Blueprint video. Same with the Q&A link. The links to the first two videos still work. Are the later two still available somewhere?

Thanks

Joel Friedlander July 7, 2012 at 11:43 am

Hi Sarah,

I should probably put a note on this post, but these videos were released for the launch of the Self-Publishing Roadmap online training course, which is underway right now. After the launch I took down the videos and the other materials associated with the launch, but I’ll be doing it again later this year. If you’d like to get notified when the Roadmap is opening again, make sure you’re on my email list. Thanks!

Sarah Elisabeth July 7, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Ah, I see. Yes, I’m on your email list. Was just too busy at the time to look closely at the videos and such :-) Thanks for letting me know, will catch it next time around.

Ian June 12, 2012 at 3:31 am

You are sooo right about the changes hitting the self publishing world Joel, a friend sent me this just now… http://www.katu.com/news/tech/One-book-at-a-time-Book-making-machine-bucks-e-book-trend-158469065.html

An ‘Espresso Book Machine’……That takes print on demand to whole new level!

Thanks for the blueprint Joel, it helps to have a plan :-)

Vivian De Winter June 11, 2012 at 6:57 am

Thank you for the overview. It’s very clear that self-publishing is an entrepreneurial enterprise.

I’m fairly confident I can manage most tasks up until I hit the “Launch & Market” phase. Trying to find venues for book reviews of contemporary/literary fiction for indie authors has proven to be difficult. I’ve been doing a bit of investigating. Seems to be quite a few for romance, sci-fi and thriller genres. Most of the book bloggers I could find, are booked out for six months at a time, not taking on new projects and not interested in reviewing indie authors.

I don’t tweet or do the Facebook thing. I enjoy blogging and recently set up a profile on Goodreads, figuring I should be “where the readers are.”

It’s a bit of a contradiction I know, being somewhat of an introvert, but I would much rather do a reading or a Q&A session with a live audience than do the online social marketing circuit. But then I would have to offer printed books at some point. I plan to take the baby steps, ebook format to start off with.

Podcasts might be fun and a non-text way of sharing information and personality.

I think it would be interesting to do a special edition print run, based on pre-sales booked from the responses to an email news bulletin. Is this considered a type of crowd-funding?

Have blog tours taken over where the in-store book signing sessions left off?

So many things to think about…

Thank you for outlining the major steps!

Joel Friedlander June 11, 2012 at 9:42 am

Thanks, Vivian. I think with the cost of travel, declining number of bookstores and the growing popularity of online book buying, “virtual book tours” or blog tours are becoming a regular part of book marketing.

And I really like your idea of a “special edition.” And I would seriously think about converting your book for print on demand, which would give you another product and allow you to sell physical books at your personal appearances. Lots of people still prefer print books anyway. Good luck!

Katie McAleece June 11, 2012 at 5:40 am

I feel as though my brain is physically growing with all of the knowledge you’re giving us here. So interesting and helpful. Overwhelming at times, but incredibly helpful. Thank you so much!

Joel Friedlander June 11, 2012 at 9:39 am

Thanks for sticking with it, Katie, I really appreciate it.

Helen J Beal June 11, 2012 at 5:35 am

This is fantastic – I just spent some time this morning building a spreadsheet of tasks I need to complete to self-publish three novels at the back end of this year – I can now cross check against this to make sure I haven’t missed anything! Thank you!

Joel Friedlander June 11, 2012 at 9:38 am

Helen, that’s a great idea, kind of like a meta-checklist.