Hi, I’m Joel Friedlander, proprietor of Marin Bookworks, also known as “JFBookman.”
Here’s my goal, simply put:
To help publishers and authors who decide to publish their own books get to market with a great looking, properly constructed book, on time and on budget.
You can read more about me on my “About Joel” page, but since you’re here, I’ll assume you want to know what I can do for you and what it’s going to cost.
How I Help Self-Publishers
Making the leap into self-publishing is not for the faint-of-heart. But you can succeed! I know this because I’ve been involved in self-publishing since 1986, when I published Body Types. And I’ve helped many self-publishers down this same road.
Now, when I say you can succeed, it’s because the first thing the prospective author/publisher has to decide is, “How do I define success?” And believe me, there are as many answers as there are books being published.
So why would you hire me?
- To help you answer the question I just posed above. This is critical at the beginning of your project, because it will influence everything you do
- To help you produce a book that is as good—in editing, design, and production values—as any book from a large publisher against which you may compete in the marketplace
- To produce a book that conforms to all industry standards so you don’t have to worry about making some awful blunder that will forever after mark you as an “amateur” (shudder)
- To safeguard the sizable investment you are making in time, effort, dedication and cold hard cash from the “self-publishing” vultures looking to scam you and leave you holding a piece of junk instead of a lovely book
- Because you want to produce a photography book (this is a special interest of mine)
- Because you really need to sit down and talk to someone to get your plans straight in your mind. I offer an hourly consulting plan.
How I Help Publishers
I offer a logical set of services for publishers who do not maintain their own in-house design department or full-time copyediting and production staff. Small- to medium-sized publishers can choose from a suite of services—book design, cover design, copyediting, proofreading, indexing, illustration, and production management—to get their books into print. Examples are:
- Publishers who have downsized their staff to the point there is no one left to actually produce the books.
- Publishers with books aimed at a general trade audience but who are too small to even have a staff to produce them.
- Publishers with authors on the West Coast who want a local designer to take over the day-to-day production of their book.
- Publishers with a “special” book that demands outstanding typography, but for which they have the same old budget.
If you’re a publisher with too many books and not enough time, and you need someone who will have your book to the printer on the actual day you requested then contact me.
How I Charge For All This
One of the reasons I love the book business is that every project is different. However, this makes it rather difficult to give pricing guidelines because every project is different.
The absolute best way to get an accurate price from me is to email with details of your project. The more I know, the more accurate your estimate will be.
You’ll receive an estimate with the following costs outlined:
- Design fee—You’ll receive three sample interior designs, each unique and different, and together we will refine the design.
- Page layout fee—this will be a per page rate to actually lay out the entire book. Multiply the page fee by the number of pages and you have a total.
- Production management fee—If you would like me to manage the entire production, from manuscript to delivered books, this is what it will cost.
- Cover design fee—The same as interior, but for your book cover or jacket.
- Publisher setup fee—If you need help establishing your publishing company in the book trade.
- Copyediting, proofreading, indexing, illustrations, scanning and whatever else it’s going to take—these optional services are provided, and included on the estimate, only for projects on which they are needed.
On some projects, we even get the books printed for you if you need that service.
What You Won’t Get From Me
I won’t tell you your book is the best thing I’ve ever read (unless, of course, it is the best thing I’ve ever read).
You won’t get promises of how many books you will sell.
You won’t get a design done with a “template” or re-used from some other client’s book. Ever.
You won’t get hassled about who owns the designs and files actually used to produce your book—you own them.
Get Me to Speak
You can hire me to come speak to your company, your writing group, or your publishing organization about self-publishing, book design, social media, and what’s happening in the publishing world these days. My focus is on design and production, along with author platform-building and opening the doors to the wellspring of your creativity through freewriting. You will get a talk full of up-to-date information as well as stories from the long history of printing.
It’s Never Too Early To Get Started
Get me involved in your project in its early stages, don’t wait until four days before you’re supposed to go to press. Advance planning, especially with a complex project like a book, can save you tons of time, frustration, and money.
I’d like to help you bring your message to the audience it deserves, and have an enjoyable time doing it. Get in touch today.
And thanks for reading all the way to the bottom! I look forward to hearing from you when you’re ready.