#indiechat Book Launch: An Evening in Tweets

by Joel Friedlander on June 19, 2013 · 12 comments

Post image for #indiechat Book Launch: An Evening in Tweets

Have you ever taken part in a Twitter chat?

A Twitter chat is a live, scheduled event organized around a hashtag, which is a bit of metadata that people add to their posts by putting a pound sign in front of a keyword, like this: #books.

Using hashtags allows others to find your posts when searching for a specific subject, something that’s very handy in the nonstop flow of millions of tweets that continues around the clock.

So if you schedule a specific time, as BiblioCrunch does for its weekly #indiechat, everyone who wants to participate just needs to log into Twitter and search for their #indiechat hashtag.

I was invited to be the guest at yesterday’s #indiechat and it was quite a bit of fun. The subject was book launches, the tweets were flying by very fast. Before I knew it the hour was up.

Here’s a selection of the tweets that made up this fast-paced, engaging, and informative event. If you’d like to participate, just log into Twitter on any Tuesday at 9:00 p.m. Eastern time and search for #indiechat. You’ll run into Miral Sattar (@MiralSattar) who moderates the chat, and Kate Tilton (@K8Tilton) who takes care of many of the details.

For archives of past #indiechats, check out the BiblioCrunch Storify archive.

I used HootSuite to set up a filtered stream that only showed tweets tagged with #indiechat. This makes it really easy to follow the conversations that spring up while the chat is going on, too.

Next Tuesday tune in, it’s bound to be lots of fun and very informative. Do Twitter chats appeal to you?

Mike C Smith June 20, 2013 at 7:00 pm

Hi Joel
    Many thanks for your 10 tips on self publishing that I’ve just printed off ready to read this evening. I also enjoyed listening to your interview with Miss Penn. Certainly masses to learn and I will join in on the twitter #indiechat and watch with interest, just need to check the time it takes place her in New Zealand, I’m getting used to middle of the night joining training session and other talks from the USA all part of learning
    Kind regards
    Mike

Joan Stewart June 20, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Joel, I would love more information on “book cards” from Enthrill and Levada. I tried a Google search but couldn’t find anything.

Joel Friedlander June 20, 2013 at 1:14 pm
    Kate Tilton June 20, 2013 at 10:40 am

It was a pleasure to have you as a guest on Indiechat Joel! I enjoyed moderating the chat, and you are right the tweets do come in fast! I hope to see you again in one of our future chats!

Joel Friedlander June 20, 2013 at 1:14 pm

Thanks, Kate, it was a blast and I’ll definitely tune in for the next #indiechat

Meg Akabas June 19, 2013 at 5:25 pm

I have done several successful Facebook chats in a similar way. Twitter is too confining for my subject matter, but Facebook allows the same ‘back and forth’ in a vehicle that works well for me and my followers. I post a week in advance the date and time of my next Facebook chat (I schedule a 30-minute chat) when I will be taking questions about parenting from my readers/followers, and then I post a reminder one day beforehand (I also invite people to e-mail questions in advance if they would like). At the starting time, I announce that I am taking questions, and begin by posting an e-mailed question and my response.

It has worked very well, and I recommend it as a good way for authors to connect with their readers.

Meg Akabas
    Author, 52 WEEKS OF PARENTING WISDOM

Joel Friedlander June 20, 2013 at 12:40 pm

Thanks, Meg, that sounds like a great idea, and I’m not sure I’ve seen that done on Facebook before.

Miral Sattar June 19, 2013 at 8:41 am

Thanks for joining us, Joel! It was really great to have you!

Joel Friedlander June 19, 2013 at 11:55 am

Miral, it was a blast. The problem was I couldn’t keep up with the tweets, and only saw some of them this morning while reviewing the entire chat. But thanks so much for inviting me, and for running this helpful event for indie authors.

Dan Erickson June 19, 2013 at 6:46 am

I have not done much chatting on Twitter. It’s my lest used social network in some ways. I only have so much time in a day and Twitter seems to suck it up if i get too involved.

Joel Friedlander June 19, 2013 at 11:56 am

Dan, you might consider one of these chats as a good way to use Twitter without losing track of time. There are a variety of discussions going on focused on different kinds of writers and books.