Self-Published Books Get a Major Overhaul with BookDesignTemplates.com

by Joel Friedlander on February 22, 2013 · 123 comments

Post image for Self-Published Books Get a Major Overhaul with BookDesignTemplates.com

Well, the day is finally here. After two years planning and five months of development, I’m please to announce the grand opening of BookDesignTemplates.com.

As I’ve been saying all week, this is the result of accepting the reality that many authors choose to create books with the tool they already own and know how to use: Microsoft Word.

So let’s dive right in and find out what we’ve got for you.

First, the Templates

We are launching with a small gallery of 6 template designs. All of the templates available today are intended for fiction, memoir, and literary nonfiction. In other words, books that require little in the way of formatting.

Here’s what I mean, in the form of a chapter opening page from our “Legend” template:

bookdesigntemplates.com

Can you picture your own book looking like this?

The “Legend” template uses the fonts Amaranth and Theano Didot and is particularly well-suited for contemporary novels, romance, and historical novels.

It creates pages with about 360 words per page average. It makes good use of print on demand technology since you want to create an elegant and readable book without creating too many pages, since PoD vendors charge by the page.

Here’s a page spread from the “Premise” template:

Book Design Templates

As you can see, when you use one of these templates, most of the work has already been done for you. Each template comes complete with:

• The correct trim size already set
  • Margins worked out for print on demand production
  • Styles for all typographic elements, so you can style your book just by clicking on the appropriate style name in Word
  • Pages already set up for your title, copyright, chapter opening, and text pages
  • Running heads properly set up along with page numbers
  • All the fonts used by the template (completely legal)
  • Even an “About the Author” page, too

Each of the templates is available in 3 sizes:

• 5.25″ x 8″, a size that’s great for novels or memoirs
  • 5.5″ x 8.5″, the most popular size for trade paperbacks
  • 6″ x 9″, for longer books and impressive hardcovers

The Rest of the Package

Now, we can’t just sell you a template and send you on your way. Believe me, I realize there are lots of authors who have never touched that “Styles” section in Word.

That’s why my associate Tracy R. Atkins, has created a fully-illustrated, step-by-step Formatting Guide PDF that shows you how to download and unzip the template file, install the fonts on your system, and replace the placeholder text with your own book manuscript.

Here’s a typical page from the Guide:

MS Word Template Format Guide

Both the Formatting Guide and a new free resource, the Book Construction Blueprint, are available at the site as separate downloads.

Here’s what’s included in each template package zip file:

• The Word template file
  • A PDF of the template so you can see what it’s supposed to look like
  • A Word document of the template that’s fully editable
  • The fonts needed for the template

A New Resource for Book Creators

book designNo matter what kind of book you’re creating, it pays to know the industry standards that have evolved over the years, and which all professional book designers follow.

That’s why we’re making available the Book Construction Blueprint, a wealth of book formatting and construction guidelines. This 24-page PDF can become your guide for years to come when you need to answer basic questions about book sections, pagination, chapters and subheads, widows and orphans, and more.

And it’s free. Even if you’re not in the market for a template, you can grab a copy to use anyway.

What About eBooks?

We couldn’t leave you direct-to-digital publishers out in the cold, either. Although there’s a lot less you can do with a standard ebook in terms of design, we’ve created ebook-ready templates for each of our template designs, too.

They come with a supplement to the Formatting Guide that walks you through how to use the ebook template to get a file that will convert easily for Kindle, Smashwords, BookBaby and other ebook sellers and distributors.

The ebook templates are packaged as an upgrade to our other licenses.

That leads us to…

Licenses and Pricing

When you get to BookDesignTemplates.com you’ll see that the pricing on our templates is variable.

That’s because the licenses we’re selling are specific to the way you plan to use the template.

Here’s how it works.

You can buy each template with 3 different licenses, each at a separate price:

• A Single-Book License allows you to use the template for one self-published book. You’ll get the top-quality design, the fonts, and all the master pages in the template package along with the Guides to help you along. This license costs $37.00.
  • A Multi-Book License allows you to use the template for a whole series of books, no matter how long the series is. In fact, with the Multi-Book license you can publish as many of your own books as you like with one template purchase. This is probably the best value if you plan to publish more than one book. Cost is $97.00.
  • A Commercial License allows you, as a sole proprietor, to provide formatting services for other authors. With this license you can use the template on books for your clients for a one-time cost of $197.00.

For authors who are planning an ebook edition as well as a print book edition, you can add the ebook template as an upgrade to any bundle for an additional $10.00.

We devised this licensing scheme to make the templates available for different uses, at prices that make sense for each case.

Well, all that’s left now is for you to head over to BookDesignTemplates.com and check out the designs for yourself.

While you’re there, grab a copy of the Book Construction Blueprint. Also note that you can get a good look at each template by using a link to download a full-size, high-resolution 3-page sample.

The Future

We’re already at work on our first nonfiction templates, which will include levels of subheads, notes and bibliography masters, lists and pull quotes, all pre-formatted into styles for 1-click use.

There are more fiction templates coming too. By downloading the Book Construction Blueprint you’ll get on our notification list, where we’ll also make new templates available in special offers.

What’s Not Included

I almost forgot to tell you what you won’t get with our templates, and that is world-class typography. Keep in mind we can’t change the way Word works, the way it spaces letters and lines of type, the way it hyphenates. I do think these templates have been tweaked and caressed to output the best type that Word can produce.

You also won’t get Adobe or Monotype fonts, but if you have some, by learning to modify the styles you can experiment with your own fonts.

If you’re doing a fiction book, a memoir, or a work of literary nonfiction, and you don’t need formatting beyond chapter openers and title pages, these templates can save you a lot of time and frustration, and ensure that you’re producing an industry-standard book at the same time.

I’d love to get your feedback on the site, the templates, the guides, or anything else, so I hope you’ll leave it in the comments.

For my part, today I feel like I’ve created something that truly will help authors “build better books.”

Screenshot by Joel Friedlander. For readers of tiny gray type, you might be interested to know that this is the 1,000th post to this blog. Cheers.

Patricia Godfrey February 22, 2013 at 12:06 am

well done.

Mark Coker February 22, 2013 at 12:15 am

Congrats Joel! Looking forward to some Smashwords templates. :)

Joel Friedlander February 22, 2013 at 10:56 am

Thanks, Mark. Our first title is already up on Smashwords, went through the “meatgringer” with ease: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/288334

I expect to see a lot more after this, and thanks to you for all your support for indie authors.

Rachel Morgan February 22, 2013 at 12:56 am

What a great resource! Thank you!

Jonathan Gunson February 22, 2013 at 1:20 am

Another significant milestone on the rapidly forming highway for independent authors. Great work Joel.

Joel Friedlander February 22, 2013 at 10:58 am

Thanks, Jonathan. I think if we can help make some of those self-published books better, that will be a good thing.

Elisa Nuckle February 22, 2013 at 1:28 am

So wait, I have to pay for the license (which I’d want the multiple book option) and the template? So that’d be $97 total, right? I just want to make sure I understand this properly.

Joel Friedlander February 22, 2013 at 10:42 am

Hi Elisa,

Yes, the multi-book license costs $97 and grants you the right to use the template on as many of your own books as you like. A pretty sweet deal for multi-book authors who want to maintain a consistent look across all their titles.

Elisa Nuckle February 22, 2013 at 7:58 pm

How long does that license last?

Joel Friedlander August 22, 2013 at 2:51 pm

Forever.

Mick Rooney February 22, 2013 at 2:30 am

[...]This was an exercise just waiting for a professional book designer like Friedlander and his associates to grab by the scruff of the neck and drag it screaming into the professional end of the industry. Here’s hoping that one day soon all self-published books will at least look as good as some of the book templates Friedlander’s new design service has to offer.[...]

Nora Gaskin February 22, 2013 at 4:57 am

Hi. Fascinating and I’ll certainly get the free guide. Thanks!
    I have worked with a book designer and wonder how or if the templates would change that, enhance that, etc. Thanks.

Joel Friedlander February 22, 2013 at 10:44 am

Hi Nora,

These templates are intended mostly for authors who want to do their own interior formatting. If you’ve hired a designer, you probably won’t have to worry about that.

Gloria R Nash February 22, 2013 at 5:02 am

Congratulations, Joel!

I have searched for years for a resource like this. Thank you for getting it done.

Ellen M. Gregg February 22, 2013 at 6:29 am

I think my heart just leaped. Joel, Tracy – thank you! What a phenomenal service you’ve just offered. After two months of struggling with formatting for the POD version of my first book, I now have a solution. You’ve made me (and a bunch of family who “have” to have a print version) very, very happy. Thank you! Did I say, “thank you”? ;-)

Joel Friedlander February 22, 2013 at 10:46 am

Hey, that’s great Ellen. Struggling with Word isn’t fun for anyone, and I’d rather see writers concentrate on marketing their books and writing the next one. And . . . you’re welcom.

Jo Michaels February 22, 2013 at 7:01 am

SWEET! Can I add a link to the PDF and the templates in my book on formatting? Great post. WRITE ON!

Joel Friedlander February 22, 2013 at 10:50 am

Hey Jo, thanks. Sure, you can link to the opt in page here:

Tracy R. Atkins February 22, 2013 at 11:13 am

Thanks Jo!

Shauntelle Hamlett February 22, 2013 at 7:09 am

Awesome! This is definitely an idea whose time has come and the PDF is a great resource that I’ll share with all the writers I know.

Joel Friedlander February 22, 2013 at 10:59 am

Thanks Shauntelle, share it far and wide. Here’s the link to use:

Alison Gillespie February 22, 2013 at 7:57 am

Wow! This is a great! I can’t wait to see what you have in store for the nonfiction genres! Especially keen to see things for science and nature writing… don’t forget that nonfiction can be beautiful too! I’ll keep my eyes on this site as that develops.

Joel Friedlander February 22, 2013 at 11:00 am

Alison, I’m a nonfiction author myself, and nonfiction books often have more advanced, and more interesting, typography. Of course, that’s part of the challenge in putting these templates together, but we expect to start issuing nonfiction templates in the next few weeks.

susan McCann February 23, 2013 at 8:28 am

This sounds like a great resource, I’m looking forward to seeing your non-fiction template. I use apple softwear Pages, are these templates suitable for word doc exports from Pages?

Marie at Rural Living Today February 22, 2013 at 8:03 am

This is amazing news! We are just starting to publish books on sustainable living topics and will be eagerly waiting for the launch of your nonfiction templates.

Thom Reece February 22, 2013 at 8:09 am

Very exciting release, Joel. Congratulations! I am looking forward to the non-fiction templates. I just promoted your new offer on my FB page…

Thom Reece

Joel Friedlander February 22, 2013 at 11:04 am

Thanks, Thom, much appreciated.

Francois Houle February 22, 2013 at 8:25 am

These are great. Too bad for those of us that only need or want the ebook template, we have to purchase it with the printed format.

Joel Friedlander February 22, 2013 at 11:06 am

Francois, we launched the site with bundled ebook templates to keep it as simple as possible, since a lot of development went into getting this up and running. I’m completely open to spinning off the ebook templates as stand-alone products in the future, just can’t do it right now. If you download the Book Construction Blueprint you’ll get on the notification list for new products, so you’ll know right away when we have new offerings.

Francois Houle February 22, 2013 at 11:53 am

I have and read it immediately this morning. Thanks for the reply. I didn’t mean to gripe. It was more of a suggestion. This is wonderful. Keep it up.

Will Overby February 22, 2013 at 9:16 am

Looks awesome, Joel and Tracy!

Jewel Allen February 22, 2013 at 9:46 am

Brilliant!! Thank you for providing an easy solution for Word users!!

Jewel Allen February 22, 2013 at 9:53 am

Now if you could do the same for e-book, a Word template that is, that would be doubly awesome. (Or maybe *crossing fingers* you already have figured that out??)

Jewel Allen February 22, 2013 at 9:55 am

Oops…I just realized after re-reading comments and your post that you do have e-book! Yay.

Will have to check out the website, but it seemed to me that “print” version was all that I could click.

Joel Friedlander February 22, 2013 at 11:08 am

Hi Jewel,

On each template’s detail page, if you scroll down you’ll see the “eBook-Ready Bundle” for that specific template, with a separate set of Buy buttons.

Jewel Allen February 23, 2013 at 7:56 am

Yes, thanks. I guess I didn’t scroll down low enough the first time. I saw that on my next visit. :-)

Clare K. R. Miller February 22, 2013 at 10:04 am

Wow, this sounds fantastic! Any chance of OpenOffice versions in the future?

S.L. Coelho February 22, 2013 at 10:10 am

Joel, these templates are fantastic. Thank you so much for your generous support and mentoring for all authors. You’re a real treasure.

Joel Friedlander February 22, 2013 at 11:09 am

Aw, come on, you’re going to make me *blush.* Thanks.

chris February 22, 2013 at 10:13 am

Wow, these look great. I’m reading through the Blueprint and have a question. Where does the “About” page for the author go? Frontmatter or backmatter?

Joel Friedlander February 22, 2013 at 11:11 am

chris,

Many people consider the “About the Author” page as an addendum to the book, like advertising pages, which is why it isn’t listed in the Parts of a Book. The best place for this is right at the end, after all other backmatter, and that’s where we’ve placed in in these templates.

Lisa J. Yarde February 22, 2013 at 10:25 am

Thanks for simplifying one more step in my writing life. The templates look wonderful and I look forward to using them soon.

Flora Morris Brown February 22, 2013 at 10:29 am

Hi Joel,

This is great news indeed for indie publishers who are familiar with Word and will feel comfortable with your new templates.

I’m waiting for the nonfiction templates for myself, but I’m headed over to announce these to my peeps.

Thanks.

Joel Friedlander February 22, 2013 at 11:12 am

Thanks, Flora, and feel free to share the link to the Book Construction Blueprint PDF, it’s an evergreen resource that will benefit authors and self-publishers in putting together better books. Here’s the link:

Mike Engleman February 22, 2013 at 10:38 am

Joel…will your software work with Word for the Mac 2011?

Joel Friedlander February 22, 2013 at 11:13 am

Mike, yes, they will.

Alicia Young February 22, 2013 at 10:43 am

Joel, congratulations! Seriously impressed.
    Cheers,
    Alicia

Leanne February 22, 2013 at 10:47 am

I’ve honestly been searching for something like this! I’ve been a technical writer for 17 years and now I’m shifting my writing business into business storytelling and corporate book making. I’ve been lurking and reading your blog for awhile and wholly appreciate all your freely given advice. Thank you!

Joel Friedlander February 22, 2013 at 10:52 am

Leanne, a business enviroment might be a great place to use these since Word is the dominant program and most business users are very familiar with it. Watch for our nonfiction templates that should start arriving in the next couple of weeks.

J Gordon Smith February 22, 2013 at 10:52 am

Have you tried both versions with LibreOffice.org yet?
    Do they translate seamlessly?

Are the fancy fonts on the title page example embedded as images or text?

Joel Friedlander February 22, 2013 at 11:15 am

J Gordon, no, we haven’t had a chance to thoroughly test these with LibreOffice or OpenOffice either, we’ve been focused on Word. The programs would have to recognize and support Word features like section breaks, drop caps, and paragraph styles.

The fancy fonts are text, not images.

J.M. Porup April 28, 2013 at 10:17 am

LibreOffice/OpenOffice supports section breaks, drop caps, and paragraph styles.

I have used OpenOffice in a Big Publishing environment that was extremely unfriendly to my doing so. Compatibility with Word–and following a detailed author style sheet–was required to keep my job. OpenOffice passed with flying colors (and this was several years ago now).

Big demand for this. Worth testing…

Colin February 22, 2013 at 11:10 am

Good stuff, Joel. Wishing you tremendous success with this.

Rosie McGee February 22, 2013 at 11:18 am

Congratulations and thank you, Joel! Even though your first templates are for text-heavy or text-only fiction or memoir, I’m thinking of trying one out for my memoir that’s illustrated with captioned photos. I’ll flow some text into one of your templates; then add my Photo and Caption Styles to the Word Style sheet; then insert some photos. I’ll first convert color photos to B&W. Any comments on this approach in case I missed a major obstacle?

(My plan is to make a sample book for CreateSpace to see how my photos come out, before I commit to doing the whole book POD.)

Thanks for all that you do for us! Rosie McGee

Joel Friedlander February 22, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Hi Rosie,

In response to several requests like yours, my associate Tracy is adding instructions to the Formatting Guide on placing pictures with our templates. Watch for an update on Monday.

Rosie McGee February 22, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Thank you Tracy and Joel! I’ll look for it.

Rosie McGee February 22, 2013 at 3:51 pm

P.S. Tracy and Joel – Can you please include instructions for captioning the pictures, including the ability to either word-wrap to a second line or allow a ‘return’ to a second line? Thank you.

Tracy R. Atkins February 22, 2013 at 4:51 pm

Sure thing Rosie, I will be sure to add the caption examples to the guide documentation. Feel free to contact me if you need a hand too.

Thanks,
    Tracy

Mark Joyce February 22, 2013 at 11:47 am

Joel -
    Thank you for the free report! I’m looking forward to exploring and adapting from the many possibilities you’ve provided.

Maggie Dana February 22, 2013 at 1:12 pm

Genius!

August Wainwright February 22, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Congrats, Joel. The templates that are up so far have a really good feel. Hopefully writers will begin to realize that the dream of “getting published” is just the first step towards being an author. Your efforts to instill into writers the idea of better covers, and now interior layouts, should only drive-up the quality of self-published products.

Joel Friedlander February 22, 2013 at 3:29 pm

That’s what I’m hoping, August, so thanks for your support.

Maggie Dana February 22, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Joel:

I just posted about this on Writers’ Cafe (Kindleboards), KDP formatting, and CreateSpace formatting forums. These templates will certainly ‘up’ the quality of many self-published books. I do hope authors glom onto this, and fast.

Joel Friedlander February 22, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Wow, Maggie, that’s awesome. I’ve been a little concerned that designers like you would want to stone my house, but the DIY authors are the real winners here. And hey, as we both know, it doesn’t cost any more to print good looking, well-built books than it does to print the other kind. Thanks so much for your support.

Laura February 22, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Thanks Joel. Your dedication to independent authors is to be commended. I can’t wait to see your nonfiction templates. Thanks also for the Blueprint. This is a fantastic resource.

Frances Caballo February 22, 2013 at 3:41 pm

I am so impressed, Joel. Kudos to you! This is a major accomplishment that will really help artisanal publishing.

Joel Friedlander February 22, 2013 at 4:27 pm

Thanks Frances, much appreciated.

Suzanne Anderson February 22, 2013 at 6:21 pm

Genius. I expect this to be a huge hit very quickly. I’ve subscribed to your blog via email for ages and have always appreciated your generous knowledge sharing. This takes the cake.

If I can get over my fear of trying it out and messing it up…I’m going to try it out on a short (70 page) devotional I want to get out by the end of this month.

Thanks Joel!

Joel Friedlander February 22, 2013 at 10:22 pm

Go for it Suzanne, the beauty of a template is that you can always create a new, fresh document and try again. But I promise, it’s not that hard, and the Formatting Guide will lead you through it.

Michael N. Marcus February 22, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Joel, congratulations on a major move to help book beautification.

A few years ago I published this: “Although Marin Bookworks can design and format your entire book, the company will also provide a design template for you to use. This way you have the beauty of a professional design plus the control of DIY formatting.”

Now reality has caught up. Thanks for making an honest man of me.

Michael N. Marcus

JUST OUT: “The Look of a Book: what makes a book cover good or bad and how to design a good one,” http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BAPV724
    NEW: self-publishing company parody, http://www.99BuckBooks.com
    NEW: reviews of books for authors, http://www.BooksForAuthors.com
    NEW: http://www.InfoForAuthors.com
    NEW: http://www.CreateBetterBooks.com

Joel Friedlander February 24, 2013 at 10:46 am

Thanks, Michael. I remember that quote, and I have supplied templates for clients, but they were all Adobe InDesign templates.

But if it makes an honest man of you, I’m all for it.

PD Singer February 22, 2013 at 8:32 pm

These are lovely, and the idea behind it is what so many of us need. Except–I had to reassure myself that you didn’t use Scriptina, the ubiquifont, in your Legend template. Then I scrolled down and got names, but several of the letters are unpleasantly close. Sounds like this is something that can be changed with little trouble.

Thanks for putting this together.

Tracy R. Atkins February 23, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Thank you very much PD. You certainly are free to make adjustments to the typography if you need, as they are not locked down in the template.

Happy publishing!
    -Tracy

Joel Friedlander February 24, 2013 at 10:47 am

PD, that’s interesting. We all have our typographic nemeses. Ever seen Korrina? I’ve about had it with Papyrus. And don’t get me started on Comic Sans!$&*

Michael N. Marcus February 24, 2013 at 9:15 pm

I fell in love with Korinna while working at an ad agency in the mid-1970s. I used her for headlines and my own business cards and notepads. Then I got tired of her and moved on. Later my cover artist was Carina and my portrait photographer was Karina. I can’t escape.

Joella Castillo February 23, 2013 at 10:10 pm

As always Joel you are on the cutting edge of self-publishing!

Deborah February 24, 2013 at 3:52 am

These templates came just a little late for my first time but next time I will be using them for sure. For anyone who hasn’t tried it, formatting your book is NOT the fun part. There were times when I looked at my laptop and looked at the window and thought about hurling the whole thing down on to the driveway. Luckily it’s winter and the window was closed. These templates are like fine wine. You could make your own from scratch, but why? And I mean really, if 37 bucks is your final cost for self-publishing a nice-looking book, it’s worth it. And yes it matters how the thing looks. Nowadays form not only trumps substance, it has become substance.

Michael N. Marcus February 24, 2013 at 9:20 pm

>>For anyone who hasn’t tried it, formatting your book is NOT the fun part.<<

Huh? I think formatting pages is fun. Am I nuts?

Deborah February 24, 2013 at 3:52 am

Deborah February 24, 2013 at 3:53 am

Colleen Cowley February 24, 2013 at 4:19 am

Great idea. Do your templates format ellipses properly in the print and ebook versions?

Tracy R. Atkins February 24, 2013 at 11:10 am

Colleen,

The templates will use Word’s built in Ellipsis creation functionality. (Which is controlled by auto-correct and the glyphs contained on the font-set). The template’s styles will not interfere with this functionality in any way.

Colleen Cowley February 24, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Thanks. So we won’t risk the ellipses being broken in two at the end of a line, but we could have the entire ellipses all on its lonesome in the new line, right?

Colleen Cowley February 24, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Whoops, meant “ellipsis” in that case.

betty ming liu February 24, 2013 at 5:41 am

Joel, you are absolutely amazing. We are so lucky to have you on your team. Can’t even begin to tell you what a confidence-builder it is to know you are out there as a resource on your blog, your online Roadmap tutorial and now this template. Thanks for everything!

John Sambrook February 24, 2013 at 10:07 am

I’m really looking forward to the non-fiction templates. I’ll buy one as soon as they are available. I think the demand for them will be strong.

Mike Engleman February 24, 2013 at 10:36 am

I bought your Crimson 6×9 package. I have downloaded and read your two guides. I have worked on Macintosh computers since the first one, the Mac Classic, came out. I’m now using a new iMac. I have learned, over the years, that the Mac is so human-instinctive, that I have never had to read the manual when I have bought a new piece of software.
    Your software is a first for me. I cannot figure it out. Your template guide is nothing but a bunch of reproductions of pages and has no written instructions about how to make it work. Opening your .docx program in Microsoft Word, presents a bunch of War and Peace pages. What am I supposed to do with them? Replace, line by line, your copy with mine? I certainly hope not because, to do so, would be too cumbersome and time-consuming to be worth it.
    I have added the crimson typefaces to my Fontbook and Word does recognize them.
    Please tell me what to do, where to go for instructions, or how to read your template guide pictue-book.
    Mike Engleman
    Dallas, Texas

Joel Friedlander February 24, 2013 at 10:44 am

Hi Mike,

Thanks for purchasing one of our templates. The text from War and Peace is there so you know what the finished product is supposed to look like. If you check on pages 6-7 of the Formatting Guide you’ll find a section called “Transfer Your Content” that steps you through the process of replacing the dummy text with your own manuscript. Give it a try, and if you’re still having problems please let me know by email to support@bookdesigntemplates.com

Tracy R. Atkins February 24, 2013 at 11:02 am

Hello Mike,

Sorry you are having some trouble. The template format guide should have a lot of text inside. Occasionally, a PDF will not render correctly. I have re-encoded the format guide in a legacy PDF format. Could you click the link below to give it a try please?

If you are still having trouble, or just need a hand. Please give me an email at support@bookdesigntemplates.com and I will do everything I can to assist you.

Tracy

Mike Engleman February 24, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Ahhhh, Tracy, now I see. In the original guide, all the .pdf showed was lines of black. Now that I see your words, I am sure I will be off and running.
    Thanks, very much…although, at age 74, I hate to be told that you had to go to a “legacy” format to make the guide work for me!
    Mike Engleman
    Dallas, Texas

Linda Gilmore February 24, 2013 at 10:46 am

As I am working on a nonfiction book of local history, I am eagerly awaiting your templates for nonfiction. In one of your comments,you said that the templates would be ready in a few weeks. The timing should be just right for me.

Questions – Will you have the 8″ x 11 1/2″ size? I know that you commented that this size should be avoided if at all possible, but I will have a large number of pictures and for this reason want to use the larger size. This brings me to my next question. Will you have the means for pictures and captions in these templates? Also, what about endnotes? indexing?

Thanks so much for developing these resources!

Tracy R. Atkins February 24, 2013 at 11:12 am

Hello Linda,

The larger size has been a popular request and we are going to add it to our list of customer needs. The templates will handle picutes, captions, etc. We will also be sure to address end-notes and indexing with our non-fiction product.

Tracy

Grace Brannigan February 24, 2013 at 11:07 am

Great job Tracy and Joel!

Suzanne Anderson February 24, 2013 at 11:12 am

Hi Joel,

I have a question: would these templates work for formatting a kindle ebook?

If not, do you have another program that you could recommend for formatting a kindle ebook?

Thank you!

Suzanne

Tracy R. Atkins February 24, 2013 at 11:15 am

Hello Suzanne,

We actually have eBook-ready templates that you can buy bundled in with our print templates. They look great on Kindle.

-Tracy

Suzanne February 24, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Awesome! I was going to buy the template anyhow to use with the print version of my book, now I’ll go ahead and buy it today.

Thank you both for creating this terrific product and for your great newsletter, it’s one of the things I don’t delete from my inbox.

Tracy R. Atkins February 24, 2013 at 11:13 am

Thanks Grace!

Laura Roberts February 24, 2013 at 1:20 pm

This looks great! Certainly far and away better than the egregious “templates” they give you at CreateSpace (which seem to have screwed up several of my manuscripts, with no apparent way of fixing them). My only question is, will it play nicely with Open Office as well as Word? I’m assuming it will, but wondered if anyone had tested it out.

Tracy R. Atkins February 24, 2013 at 2:31 pm

Laura,

We currently support our templates on the Microsoft Word platform only. However, our templates are standard .DOTX / .DOCX formatted documents, and will open in many different word processing applications. Some template features or pre-configured formatting may be missing in these applications and must be author applied, making the templates a less user friendly, or feature-rich in some cases. You may also have to re-apply or re-add things like section breaks and running heads, depending on your OO software version. Every template ships with a 3-page PDF version so that you can compare and adjust accordingly.

Please feel free to buy and try one of our templates in your application. We have a no-hassle, 30-Day money-back guarantee on all of our products.

Cy February 24, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Can this template be imported into Scrivener?

Tracy R. Atkins February 24, 2013 at 2:25 pm

Hello Cy,

We have not tested with Scrivener, So can’t say for certain. Sorry.

Tracy

Mike Engleman February 24, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Tracy…I have now read your guide-with-words and am vigorously at work.
    I have a question that is not answered in your guide. How do I add interior pages. I need for pages that follow the dedication page for my acknowledgements. I have tried using the quotation page and pasting the acknowledgements to it, but the new pages flow into–and mess up–the Chapter One template.

Tracy R. Atkins February 24, 2013 at 2:24 pm

Hello Mike,

To add a fresh page to the front matter, add a Section Break (Odd Page) to the end of the previous page (like the quotation page). (You will want to be in Show mode for the formatting marks).

Please give me an email at support@bookdesigntemplate.com if you have any trouble and I will be happy to help.

Tracy R. Atkins February 24, 2013 at 8:26 pm

We have had a lot of great questions. If we missed any due to the length of the discussion, please don’t hesitate to contact us at: support@bookdesigntemplate.com

Many answers to the flood of recent questions have been integrated into our handy FAQ;

Jenn Mattern February 25, 2013 at 6:54 am

Congrats on the launch! The templates look great from what I’ve seen so far, and I can’t wait to see your nonfiction ones in the future. :)

Mike Engleman February 25, 2013 at 8:48 am

Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address.

No MX or A records for bookdesigntemplate.com

The result of my email sent at about 10:30 this morning.
    Mike Engleman

Joel Friedlander February 25, 2013 at 11:12 am

Mike,

Sorry you’re having trouble. The address is actually:

support@bookdesigntemplates.com

Try that, or go to our contact page here:

Hope that helps.

Tracy R. Atkins February 25, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Thanks Joel, Sorry about the typo in the comment for the address.

Geraldine Nesbitt February 25, 2013 at 11:19 am

Hi, I was planning on publishing through Kindle Direct and downloaded the free guide to formatting. The manuscript is still in A4 size, is this a problem.
    BTW I read somewhere that a novel that is 140,000 words long might not catch on as an ebook. What would be your opinion on that?

Tracy R. Atkins February 25, 2013 at 1:36 pm

The eBook versions of the templates are trim-size agnostic. So there is no worry about format with the ebook version.

On the 140K word epic, I don’t think people will mind so much, especially if it is a great novel! :)

-Tracy

Geraldine Nesbitt February 26, 2013 at 1:20 am

Thanks Tracy

I appreciate your response. Will let you know when it is done! Nothing stopping me going for it today! How exciting. I did my previous novel POD. Iuniverse recently converted it to kindle for me, which is why I thought bringing out the second one on kindle too, would look good on my Author page on Amazon!

Rachna March 9, 2013 at 8:15 pm

Hi Joel,

Template website is a nice idea!
    The selection is a bit limited as of now.
    I was looking for a template for children’s story book, I could not find something which could work for me.
    I usually write in 8.5″ x 8.5″ trim size with a 14pt font size which I feel is suitable for children under 6year old.
    Also, I prefer Pageplus over MS Word. I hope that will be supported someday.

regards,

Pamela Wight April 10, 2013 at 5:17 pm

I read your blog consistently. I published my first e-book in January on Amazon and Barnes & Noble. Great success (hired someone to do the formatting). I have so many people asking for a soft cover, but I’ve hesitated because I am NOT tech savvy. I’ve read your template offer and am so tempted to do it. But so many questions. Can a neophyte (and non techie) really do this? Is it easier than Create Space? (A writer friend published her soft cover using Create Space and it took her forever, and replaced her blonde hair with gray ones.) After I use your template, is it easy to then submit it to Amazon, where I already have an account with my e-book? Sorry for all the questions.

Tracy R. Atkins April 10, 2013 at 5:30 pm

Hello Pamela,

The templates are simple to use, even for Word novices. We have an illustrated guide that will walk you through the whole process too. To get a book into print is a simple matter. After you copy over your manuscript to the template and finalize the formatting, you save a PDF copy of your book. That file is ready to send to your POD, including createspace, which is Amazon’s printer for trade paperbacks. No extra work is needed, with the exception of creating/submitting your cover for book.
    Tracy

Pamela April 13, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Thank you – great explanations. Next question – I published my first book as an e-book (and that’s the one I’ll now sell as a soft cover). I paid a formatter a good chunk of change to do the e-formatting for me. I’m ready now to publish my second book. If I first print it using your template and publish it in Amazon, when I then decide to make it an e-book, doesn’t Amazon do the e-formatting for me at a (reduced) cost?

Pamela April 13, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Tracy R. Atkins April 13, 2013 at 3:57 pm

Hello Pamela,

If i’m not mistaken, CreateSpace has a $60-$70 or so dollar fee to convert a print book file to eBook. With our templates, you can purchase the eBook ready version of the template in the single book bundle for just $10 more. It is a very economical way to have a nicely formatted Print and eBook together.

-Tracy

Peter Osterlund October 6, 2013 at 10:48 am

I just stumbled onto this site. What a gold mine! Intrigued by your templates here but, for the uninitiated among us (i.e., me) could you explain just how these templates fall short of actual typography? I know you mentioned something about fonts, but could you put one of these template pages next to a “real” book page? Because, for the life of me, my uneducated eyes can’t tell the difference. Thanks…

Joel Friedlander October 7, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Peter, good question. If you go to the template site and take a look at one of the downloadable PDF samples, you’ll see the kind of typesetting we’re able to get from Word. It’s good, but not great. It doesn’t have the ability to handle fonts, spacing, and justification the way a program like InDesign can. However, many authors seem to be just fine with the templates, they’ve become quite popular.